PDA

View Full Version : stevens rebarrel to 223 with 7 twist?

noname
11-04-2016, 08:42 AM
Now that I have the barrel on,can anyone give me an idea
as to which bullet I should start with and maybe a idea
on the powder as well..Oh this is a Wylde chamber if it makes
any difference..Appreciate any suggestions on this..:hail:

Swissfan
11-04-2016, 09:58 AM
I have a 7 twist McGowan varmint contour on my Axis that shoots lights out with the 77gr SMK. It would not shoot the 69 or 62 grain SMK at all. I have not tried anything heavier since the 77s shoot so well. I use 22gr of H335, I have some rounds loaded w/TAC but have not been able to shoot them yet. YMMV.

noname
11-04-2016, 10:54 AM
I have a 7 twist McGowan varmint contour on my Axis that shoots lights out with the 77gr SMK. It would not shoot the 69 or 62 grain SMK at all. I have not tried anything heavier since the 77s shoot so well. I use 22gr of H335, I have some rounds loaded w/TAC but have not been able to shoot them yet. YMMV.

appreciate your reply..What do you mean by lights out? I am looking for at least 1 inch at 300 yds. if possible..lol

hereinaz
11-04-2016, 11:32 AM
7 twist is for the heavier bullets, so start there.

darkker
11-04-2016, 02:15 PM
There isn't any "paint by numbers" way to give you what you want, closes thing would be to buy some match ammo.
If you are looking to reload, then buy yourself several manuals and read all of the info, Before the load data; do that twice.
Start at the starting loads and work up watching for the groups you desire.

As Hereinaz said, the 7-twist is for the longest bullets, if you try and shoot lightly constructed bullets they will come apart with that much RPM.

Swissfan
11-06-2016, 04:07 PM
noname, I can get 5 shots groups, all touching at 100 yards, that should be close to 1" at 300 yds. This is the McGowen on an Axis with a Rifle Basix Sav-1 set at about 2.5 lbs. I only shoot for recreation and have only been shooting for a handful of years.

243LPR
11-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Sort of depends what you want to use it for. Long range paper punching or hunting? If it's varmints I'd have gone with a slower twist for lighter/faster bullets.

big honkin jeep
11-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Call The techs at Sierra Bullets. They have been very helpful to me in the past.
Good free advice from guys that do ballistics for a living.
Talk to A Tech • 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
(Monday - Friday • CST)
800-223-8799

Robinhood
11-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Sierra, Hornady or Berger over 75 grains preferably the 80 grain or heavier. Some guys chamber without throating for the heavies in the fast twist barrels. If you need to, have it throated to hang the bullets out there so you still have room for powder. The 7 twist LRPV will shoot 80 smk's @ .5 moa + or - at 300 with R15

FiveInADime
11-07-2016, 12:30 AM
I would be shooting the Hornady 75gr AMAX or the new equivalent ELD when it's available. They're cheap. $185/1000

I was thinking of building a custom .223AI 8-twist just to hopefully shoot the 75gr AMAX/ELD for long-range fun shooting. But the gun I bought was so accurate stock, I decided to shoot the piss out of it instead. Someday I'll throw an AI barrel on it.

Texas10
11-07-2016, 09:31 AM
Your Wylde chambered 7 twist was made for longer and heavier bullets, so the only question is how much you want to spend on the bullets. Lots of choices, but for cheap thrills, you might try the 80 grain SMK, or 80 gr. A-Max.

Berger's website http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/ has a twist rate calculator that will give you an idea just how stable your chosen bullet will be at the velocity you load to. You'll need to have a bullet in hand to measure OAL or go here for a library of bullets : http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/lengths/lengths.shtml#Hornady

Shot from my 8 twist 26 inch Criterion barreled 223, the 80 grain A-Max at a stability factor of 1.24 is not quite fully stabilized and shows a tendency towards fliers. The 77 grain Nosler CC at a stability factor of 1.9 is fully stable and is a little more consistent. Still fine tuning the loads though.

noname
11-07-2016, 09:40 AM
I really appreciate all of your replies.This will mostly be used for paper punching out to 600 yards.
I have some heavy bullets ordered and when I get over this **** sinus infection,I will be heading
to the range. Should I be doing load testing at 100 yards or out to 300 maybe..How do you all do
your testing?

FiveInADime
11-07-2016, 12:49 PM
I really appreciate all of your replies.This will mostly be used for paper punching out to 600 yards.
I have some heavy bullets ordered and when I get over this **** sinus infection,I will be heading
to the range. Should I be doing load testing at 100 yards or out to 300 maybe..How do you all do
your testing?
I like shooting at 100 yards to quickly find something that groups then I'll do a ladder test at 300 yards with minute changes in charge weight to see what range gives me the least vertical stringing. I bring my press, scale, and pre-charged cases to the range so I don't waste more powder than I need to.

noname
11-08-2016, 08:52 AM
thanks for the answer..