PDA

View Full Version : savage 24 peep sight

krakshot
11-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Hi all,
this is my first post. I am looking for a peep sight Redfield re-24 or Williams WRGS 24 for my 22/410. I'd appreciate any help. I live next to Numrich/Gunparts Corp. and so far they can't help.
Thanks,
David
subarudave@yahoo.com

Big Al1
11-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Can't find a peep for a Savage 24, maybe one of these would work in the rear sight dovetail. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/bullseye-rear-sight-prod27265.aspx

If your 24 has a 3/8" dovetail cut in the barrel, you could mount one of the dovetail .22 peeps from William or Skinner.

olafhardt
12-06-2016, 07:13 AM
This works I have had one on my 22/20 ga for several years. A short piece, say an inch, of 3/8 inch steel pipe that you split down one side with a hacksaw,dremel, etc and spread out a little with some sort of wedge can be slid over the 22 barrel after you remove the rifle extractor. If you over do it, you can squeeze it back in a vice. Bubba does it with a claw hammer. After you have adjusted the sleeve you can drill and tap it for a WGRS. Two such sleeves can make a scope mount that is better than the dovetail. I like to drill and tap extra holes in the sleeves and use the little hole plugging screws that come with scopes as set screws. I also use a very scant smear of Gorilla Glue under the sleeves as it swells and fills any empty space. If you add some graphite to the Gorilla it looks like a steel weld when it dries. The best front sight I have found is to just drill and tap one of these sleeves for a nylon screw which you can trim to proper hieght. I use 8x32 or 10x32 screws but you can use smaller if you want to. I suppose you could use a brass or steel screw. If I think the screws look to tall I screw a nut or so on them. I take the original front sights off. I was worried that the nylon screws were to fragile until I started trimming them.