PDA

View Full Version : What mount/rings?

duhast
08-06-2010, 06:40 PM
'Allo from a forum (and Savage) noob. No intro area I saw, so I'll do it here.

Lifelong shooter and owner, though mostly handguns. Just bought my first serious bolt gun, a Savage 11, accustock, accutrigger, .308. My other bolt guns are a 98 Mauser .30-06 sporter, and a Ishapore SMLE. Front Sight member, taking my first 2-day Practical Rifle next month.

My primary for the class will be my non-stock ChiCom SKS, the Savage will be my backup.

I purchased a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 scope for it. Now I need mounts and rings. This is where I need help.

1. I'm a cheapskate.

2. I know zero about rings and mounts.

3. I'd like steel for both.

4. I'd like Weaver/Picatinny style.

5. I'd like a one piece base.

6. I'd like to do the mount myself if possible.

7. Did I mention I'm a cheapskate?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edit: I forgot to ask about quick-detatchables. Yea or nay?

laportecharlie
08-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Not the cheapest, but Burris signature rings are on every gun I own that they are made for. As far as bases, I use the Burris two piece but you will get lots of opinions on various one piece bases.
Charlie

rjtfroggy
08-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Give these a look they suite all your needs, EGW mount(site sponsor) just click on their banner. top off with Burris XTR low rings.Very good combo and durable enough to get through your class and then some.

Gunnyhiway
08-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Ken Farrell solid one piece milled base and rings hold my Leupold 6.5-20x40 target scope on my Savage 10FP .223 with excellent results, never gets off zero.

My scope and base/rings were way more than the rifle.

mopar440
08-20-2010, 08:53 PM
i like the egw base and burris xtr rings its a rock solid setup for a great price they are both alum but i would not worry about gone to steel it a bit more exspensive and i believe both rings and base are 6060 alum if ever mess with is pretty hard stuff

GentleBen
08-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Ironsighter ($12) makes a one-piece for short action Savage and Durasight makes quick detach rings ($21). Both are quality pieces but they are aluminum. You can get 'em at Midway. I have them on a Savage 12 varminter, no problems.

Putney
08-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Another vote for Ken Ferrell one piece base & Burris Signature Zee rings.
The Burris rings fit the Ferrell base like they were made as a matched set.
Hard to beat this set up.

Putney