PDA

View Full Version : Scope Base Not Square to Reciever

DenverDave
11-03-2016, 03:06 AM
I have discovered that my scope rail is not square to my receiver.

Provided I find out that the problem is NOT a warped base but that the receiver holes are drilled at an angle, how is this issue normally resolved?

Can the same holes be fixed allowing me to continue using 6-48 screws for the base?

Or, are larger holes drilled facilitating the use of larger 8-40 screws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero333
11-03-2016, 07:49 AM
If your rifle was tapped at the factory, then they will most likely take your rifle apart and put it back together with a new receiver. Same old barrel stock etc.

Depending on how far off the holes are, a gunsmith could either mill them out to 8-40 or if the holes are off too far, he'll ask you if you want new holes that will require the rail to also be re-drilled for the new holes.

I heard of people using epoxy under rails but I would not go that route personally.

olddav
11-03-2016, 08:54 AM
Is yours off this much? http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?53575-Long-overdue-range-update-and-request-for-stock-help
He used JB Weild to bed/shim his base. Quite a interesting story in a earlier post.

sharpshooter
11-03-2016, 11:24 AM
It could be that the holes in the base are off center.

DenverDave
11-03-2016, 11:39 AM
It could be that the holes in the base are off center.

That is what I am hoping. I want to upgrade to a 20moa base anyway so hopefully that will be the fix.

DenverDave
11-03-2016, 11:43 AM
Is yours off this much? http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?53575-Long-overdue-range-update-and-request-for-stock-help
He used JB Weild to bed/shim his base. Quite a interesting story in a earlier post.

Thank god no. You can't see it. When installing my scope I noticed that the rail was canted/ not level on the front end while the back is level and square to the receiver and rest of the rifle.. Drives me nuts.

Maztech89
11-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Just bed the rail and be done with it.