PDA

View Full Version : Scope Bases: Aluminum or Steel? Best choice under $100- NF, Leupold MK4, TPS, Seekins?

DenverDave
11-01-2016, 05:30 PM
I am looking to upgrade the base on my savage model 10. The factory base won't mount square to the receiver, and I would like to get a base with more elevation. I use the rifle for long range precision shooting. Its a light caliber: 6.5 Creed. I have Seekins low Rings (Aluminum) and a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 34mm tube scope. Would like to spend less than $100. All the bases I am looking at have 20 moa of elevation.

Big question is aluminum vs. Steel? Of course alum is lighter weight, and steel is stronger. Does the strength/rigidity of the steel make a big difference? Help accuracy?

I would like the base to be low profile. The Savage factory base is beefy and my optic sits a little higher than I would like. The models I am considering are:

1) Leupold MK4 (Steel) $70- a big selling point on this base is that it accepts the std 6-48 screws and 8-40 screws. If it turns out that my base is not the problem (base wont mount square to reciever) and I need to have my receiver redrilled I imagine this will be a handy feature. This base is also the lowest priced steel base I have found. Dont know much about Leupolds reputation regarding bases. Not a "top of the line" name like Badger, NF, and Seekins.

2) TPS-XP (Steel) model # 20302 - retails for $90, I found a blem for $73- appears to be the lowest profile of the options listed, based on the photos.

3) Nightforce Standard Duty (Aluminum) $57

4) Seekins Precision (Aluminum) $95

5) Nightforce 1-Piece (Steel) $116 - a little over my budget. If its a substantial upgrade from the above models I would consider it.

Any advice or insight folks can offer would be great. Thanks

huntin1
11-02-2016, 08:46 AM
I prefer steel, but that comes from the days when I was dragging my rifle around in a drag bag on 500+ yard low crawl stalks. The base on my 10FP is a Ken Farrell, it too is a bit over your budget. I'm using TPS steel rings. The TPS base you mention is good, I have a friend that has it on several rifles, has never had an issue. Can't help with the others listed as I have no experience with them. I will say that all of the makers you've picked have a good reputation, I wouldn't be afraid of any of them. Get the one that best suits your needs.

m12lrs
11-02-2016, 10:38 AM
I just put a Sharp Shooters Supply rail on one.of.my target actions. $55 for a 20 moa

Fit like it belonged there

Savage is infamous for drilling scope mount screw holes out of alignment

Stickler
11-02-2016, 12:38 PM
EGW has been very good for me ( http://www.egwguns.com/savage/ ). They also offer 30 and 40 MOA offsets. If your mounting holes are off you can buy undrilled mounts also. Good luck.

RC20
11-02-2016, 01:43 PM
I like steel, I think it adds a bit more rigidity to the action. That is an opinion not a proven fact. Aluminum may do the same.

I just bench rest so weight is a non issue.

You might look at Warne, not sure they fit the low profile aspect but they usually are very reasonable on cost.

Leuopold has been making bases and rings forever, I would put them top of the line. NF etc are all relatively recent entries into the field.

DenverDave
11-02-2016, 01:54 PM
I just put a Sharp Shooters Supply rail on one.of.my target actions. $55 for a 20 moa

Fit like it belonged there

Savage is infamous for drilling scope mount screw holes out of alignment

"Savage is infamous for drilling scope mount screw holes out of alignment"
Are you referring to the holes in the receiver or base itself?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DenverDave
11-02-2016, 01:57 PM
EGW has been very good for me ( http://www.egwguns.com/savage/ ). They also offer 30 and 40 MOA offsets. If your mounting holes are off you can buy undrilled mounts also. Good luck.

Doesn't EWG supply rails to Savage for Sav stock rifles?.... if so not going down that path again.

RatMag
11-02-2016, 06:56 PM
I have had absolutely ZERO problems with the Weaver Tactical rails that I use. I gave up on the steel bases, just as another source of weight reduction, as well as the steel rings, and mags.

DK

Rob01
11-03-2016, 08:28 AM
Steel or aluminum comes down to quality of the product and not what it's made of. You can buy garbage steel and aluminum or quality steel and aluminum. Buy quality of either and you will be fine.

Seekins bases are 7075-T6 aluminum and have a recoil lug. I have used them on a 300WM and they are plenty strong.

DenverDave
11-03-2016, 11:49 AM
I think I will go with Seekins. The TPS Steel blem rail I found for $70 (probably because I posted it all over the net) sold. My Seekins rings have been great so think I will stick with them. Anyone recall any Black Friday discounts from SP last year?

James John
11-03-2016, 06:05 PM
Have you found a seekins rail? Both places I checked where sold out

Zero333
11-04-2016, 08:29 AM
I have a Weaver 20moa rail and I don't see a reason why spend more.
Weaver Part #99496
It's aluminum and Made in the USA... $35 at https://www.midwayusa.com/product/315941/weaver-1-piece-extended-multi-slot-tactical-picatinny-style-20-moa-base-savage-10-series-short-action-matte

Rob01
11-04-2016, 09:08 AM
The Weaver is made out of a softer 6061 aluminum versus the 7075 of the Seekins.

Zero333
11-05-2016, 08:06 AM
The Weaver is made out of a softer 6061 aluminum versus the 7075 of the Seekins.

Yes you're right. 7075 is a harder aluminum. I just never had any problems with the 6061 alloy Weaver rail, and I don't baby my rifles.

Rob01
11-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Yes you're right. 7075 is a harder aluminum. I just never had any problems with the 6061 alloy Weaver rail, and I don't baby my rifles.

Glad yours is working fine for you but just wanted to give the OP a total look of details for his decision.

Steelhead
11-05-2016, 01:11 PM
I've used weaver and EGW rails.
Never had issues with either.

Draftpick
11-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Talley manufacturing make a 20 moa rail with 7075 alum. I have one. http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Tactical/Picatinny-Rails/Savage/Picatinny-Base-for-Savage-Axis-w-20-MOA.aspx

Rob01
11-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Talley manufacturing make a 20 moa rail with 7075 alum. I have one. http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Tactical/Picatinny-Rails/Savage/Picatinny-Base-for-Savage-Axis-w-20-MOA.aspx

Does it have a recoil lug? Can't see in pic and nothing in description.

DenverDave
11-12-2016, 01:14 AM
Have you found a seekins rail? Both places I checked where sold out

Keep an eye on Amazon. I ordered mine today and it was the last one but I have been tracking it and noticed they have popped up in small quantities from different retailers over the past week or so.