PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110E 22-250 that i want to re-barrell to .308 or 6.5 creedmoor

cfox
10-31-2016, 12:42 AM
I have a Savage 110E chambered in 22-250, the gun was my first center fire rifle that I received new in 1988. I have changed the stock to a boyds laminate and set the trigger to 3 lbs. The gun has had well over 1000 rounds through it and has become somewhat inaccurate.

What I want to do:

-re-barrel with a shilen pre-cut / pre-chambered barrel in either .308 or 6.5 creedmoor

Questions I have:

- do I need to re-place the barrel nut or recoil lug?
-are any modifications required to the bolt or bolt face?
-I'm not sure if the action is long or short
and I'm not sure if it is a staggered feed or center feed (the magazine well is attached to the action)
-does any of that matter?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Chad

darkker
10-31-2016, 06:48 AM
Oooffff..
well then, let's learn you something.

You ordered a Boyd's stock, so you DO know whether it is a center feed or a stagger feed, as you need to know that when ordering the stock, same with the long or short action part. Up at the top left of the page, under the logo; click on the "Home" button, them go to "Savage FAQ's" on the left. Re-read about the action spacing and dates.

You have a stagger feed, which is verified by staring at the cases as they feed into or out of the magazine. Staggering back and forth.

Barrel nut and recoil lug. Some people change wheels when they get new tires on a car; it's cosmetic. The nut and lug should be considered the same. If you want to do it, great; never let anyone tell you it's needed, it isn't.

Bolt face. Look in your loading manuals for the various case heads you are considering. But no, there is nothing needing changed between your intended chamberings.

As we already covered hope to know the action length, et al. No, that has no bearing on the action threads. You have a standard, or sometimes called small shank, Savage action. They are all the same threads

Texas10
10-31-2016, 08:09 AM
A thousand rounds is not that much, even for a known "barrel burner" like a 22-250. Have you pillar bedded your new Boyds? If so, torque tuning the action screws has been shown to improve shot to shot consistency. http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

Both these refinements will help improve your groups, regardless of caliber you choose.

Given what we know so far, my feeling is that you might gain more knowledge and experience by improving what you have now, and once you've mastered the skills and techniques involved, a new barrel will only add to those skills. Changing barrels now will probably only serve to confuse the possible issues causing decreased accuracy. Load refinement and accuracy improvement is all about changing ONE thing at a time and noting the results.

Good luck and be sure to report back with your progress.

And last but not least, welcome to the forum!