PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10 All Out

WeldNFool
10-30-2016, 06:11 PM
I wanted something custom, a good shooter but wanted some eye candy, mainly for me. I'm not one to brandish and show off but wanted something I could just look at, plop up on the bench at the range, fling a few rounds down and sit back and stare at the rifle.

After a bunch of questions and decisions I have the design planned out. I've spoken with a top notch painter who is going to do all of the painting and detail work. Stock has been chosen, SSS LPBR stock. I had one final question for them over there before I pulled the trigger on the order. If they can come thru with this request I will be ordering the stock.

So far I have a Savage 10 FCP-SR, still waiting for delivery on the rifle however. I have picked up a SSS fluted bolt and extractor kit. I bought a Shilen 28", bull barrel, 1-10 twist with 6 grooves from Northland. Bought a Pacific Tool bolt head, probably not really needed but I'm going 100% crazy on this rifle. Looking at a CDI or AI bottom metal but still on the fence about which one at the moment.

Plans are to highly polish the stainless barrel, have the action bead blasted and then have something done to it. Not sure how I will achieve the look I am going for on the action but I do have time. As far as paint, details on the stock at the moment this is all top secret. The bottom metal and mag will also have some color added to accent the theme.

Right now I do not have pictures but wanted to start this thread. Once I have the rifle in hand and stock ordered the ball will be rolling....slowly. Once I get some things accomplished I will get the pictures posted to document this build.

When it is all said and done however I think this will be a head turner for certain.

drybean
10-30-2016, 07:21 PM
Will need Pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!

WeldNFool
10-30-2016, 10:49 PM
I'm trying to start on the barrel this week but business is booming so spare time is not my friend, lol! Looks like I will have to have someplace to dump my pictures in order to post them here though as it seems you can't attach jpg's here like other forums.

m12lrs
11-02-2016, 10:03 AM
I just ordered a SSS Dogtracker. Fred has my target action for time and true and.the competition trigger. Bolt.fluting and pillar/glass bedding. I told him whatever he could do to make it.better. this will be a strictly long range bench gun

I have a laminated stock I have been working on for some time. I really boogered up the pillar installation but have.it fixed now. I am shooting it.in the raw. Looks good everywhere except the 3/4" hole full of devcon around the final pillar installation. Planned to clear coat it but pain't would cover up my mistake. Been looking.for.someone that paints benchrest stocks but have come up blank. Who are you using?

m12lrs
11-02-2016, 10:11 AM
I just ordered a SSS Dogtracker. Fred has my target action for time and true and.the competition trigger. Bolt.fluting and pillar/glass bedding. I told him whatever he could do to make it.better. this will be a strictly long range bench gun

I have a laminated stock I have been working on for some time. I really boogered up the pillar installation but have.it fixed now. I am shooting it.in the raw. Looks good everywhere except the 3/4" hole full of devcon around the final pillar installation. Planned to clear coat it but pain't would cover up my mistake. Been looking.for.someone that paints benchrest stocks but have come up blank. Who are you using?

WeldNFool
11-02-2016, 06:13 PM
I just confirmed everything on my stock with SSS. I had to inquire about something and they are working with me to make it happen.

I know a guy that gave me a number to a painter locally. He has a couple BR rifles and one painted by this guy. I contacted them and it has been 2-3 weeks and have not heard back from them. So, I found somebody else. I sent an email on Friday, they replied Monday and I presented my idea for my rifle stock. He had no problems with what I was wanting and gave me a price. Here is a link to their website,

https://custompaintedgunstocks.com/

Looking at their work and I was impressed. 10 weeks or so on the stock, a couple weeks for me to do what I need to do on the stock, 2-3 weeks on paint and around February/March I should have the stock ready to install parts!