PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Changed the BCs of their ELD Bullets????

Londerko
10-25-2016, 10:30 AM
Hornady now lists different BCs on there website for both lines of ELD bullets.
Anyone else notice this? Or know anything about it?
The G1 of the 208 eldm was .670 now they list .690. The 200 ELD-X was .626 and was dropped to .597.
And the 212 eldx was listed at .673 now they list .663
I'm sure the BCs of the other ELD bullets were changed as well, but these are the only 3 I am familiar with.
I'm assuming they just updated the BCs after further testing not any change in the design right?
Don't lie about your bullets BC or Bryan Litz will catch you!!!!

stomp442
10-25-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm sure it's something along the lines of what Bryan Litz and Berger have been doing for years. That is continuous testing of each lot and an update of the running averages to ensure the most accurate numbers. At least I hope that's the case.

LoneWolf
10-25-2016, 11:44 AM
With the community getting smarter and constantly pushing for accurate performance it's keeping companies more honest! It's a good thing if you ask me!

yobuck
10-25-2016, 11:45 AM
Could be there is also a very slight difference in the bullet for whatever the reason.
It would have been the late 60s that Hornady first introduced the 7mm 162 gr BTHP match bullet.
It had a very high BC number, but a few years later, the number was lowered.
The bullet had also been changed, and a side by side comparison will reveal that.
I have a few hundred of the originals, and over 1000 of the second generation, and have compared them.
The 162 Amax also underwent several changes in design.

Londerko
10-25-2016, 11:56 AM
I talked to a Hornady rep, it is NOT a change in the bullet. What he told me was: they were basing their BCs off of 800yds. Everyone else in the industry bases them off of 200 yds. They just changed to a 200yd BC to compare apples to apples. Sounds like most of the ELD x BCs went down and the ELD-ms went up.
their is more detailed info on their website

stomp442
10-25-2016, 12:48 PM
Seems to me the 800 yard number would be the more accurate number. Why would they like to be like everyone else? I would think it woul be a good thing to stand out. Pretty sure Berger uses data collected over long range to better give accurate numbers for any given distance or velocity.

bearcatrp
10-25-2016, 11:06 PM
http://m.hornady.com/support/faqs/heat-shield-technology
The tips are back to original color. I emailed them when my new box of Creedmoor bullets didn't have the translucent tips. Was told nothing changes but the color but after reading this I now wonder. I have great results with 178 ELD-X and 140 ELD-M. Even the 208 ELD-M shot great.

Londerko
10-26-2016, 12:06 AM
Generally the faster the velocity (closer the range) a bullet is tested the higher the BC. That's why we saw the 208 go from a .670 @ 800yds to a .690 at 200yds.
What I can't wrap my head arround is why the BC on most of the ELD-X line went down when they tested at the closer 200yd range?
Hornady lists 3 BCs for each bullet, Mach 1.75, Mach 2 and Mach 2.25. ( they say they are similar to bullet velocities at 200, 500 & 800 yards.
The "NEW" BC that should be the highest are lower than the originally posted BCs that were supposedly done at 800yds. On most of the ELDX bullets I looked at, all 3 of the posted BCs are lower than the original one they advertised, but obviously with the 200yd (Mach2.25) being closest to the original but still lower.
Only thing I can think of is that the Original BCs for the ELDX were inflated and proven false.
Now they have changed to a 200yd BC to stay on the same page as everyone else.
im not positive, but I'm pretty sure Berger takes the averages of all the different BCs at different velocities and posts that as the advertised BC.
Dont get me wrong, I love these Hornady bullets. I wacked a nice 4pt Muley with a 208 last week and couldn't be happier.
But....... I do feel that Hornadys ballistic testing is FAR behind the times and no where near the level of Bryan Litz and the Folks at Berger. Hornady didn't even start posting G7 BCs until this year.
Just my 2 cents -Leo