View Full Version : Savage Stealth in 300 Win Mag - First impressions

Pages : 1 [2] 3

CBryars2
12-01-2016, 10:46 PM
Your welcome glad it helped.

CBryars2
12-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Quick update.
Primary scope is still in shop, so slowed me down shooting. Due to go to Talladega the 23rd Dec. Not sure if I will make it. The secondary scope cannot handle the 338 Lapua, recoil is making it go out of focus each shot.

The waiting is the worst part, check daily to see when they will ship scope back. Been 3 weeks, but in fairness, first 4 days were Thanksgiving, so really only on 2 weeks and 4 days.

CBryars2
12-26-2016, 12:29 AM
Trip to Talladega called off, Primary scope still not back. A little bummed - sent 22nd Nov. so 33 days.

CBryars2
12-29-2016, 12:08 AM
Good News \ Bad News

Good - Primary Scope just came in from repair (31 days including shipping both ways and Thanksgiving & Christmas), mounted it, hopefully go to range next Monday to sight back in.

Bad - Suppressor tax stamp arrived. Bummer - has wrong thread size, need 5/8 - 24 tpi, can't find one in stock.

CBryars2
12-30-2016, 01:07 AM
Some good news dealer got a muzzle break adapter for my new suppressor. No joy for 338, but will fit 6.5 and 300 WM

CBryars2
12-30-2016, 11:27 AM
There was a question about difference between Drake Hunter\Stalker chassis (basis for Stealth) vs MDT LSS Chassis. Here is a good list by Frank on Snipers Hide - http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1491512-gear-review-hunter-stalker-chassis

Snipers Hide -
Drake Associates has an exclusive agreement with MDT for the production of a modified chassis system that has DRAKE design influenced features “For Snipers by Snipers” TM (pending).
Special Ergonomics features have been added to the Drake Hunter Stalker LWSS (Light Weight Sniper System) Universal Chassis over original MDT LSS design as a very custom and exclusive product improvement
1 Hunter Stalker LWSS Universal chassis is also available in both SHORT and LONG Action - Remington 700 and Savage 10/110
2 Hunter Stalker Raked Magwell for distinctive look and special function - quick changes with minimal movement of chassis - streamlined with tracking channel for insert of mag.
3 Special Drake Military Division SNIPER logo engraving with Distinctive DRAKE - Bat wing TM design
4 CHASSIS is DELIVERED with one AICS Type Patterned magazine INCLUDED - so customer has this in hand when package arrives!
5 Special cuts around trigger guard to allow for correct fit of Ergo Grip that has finger groove ears above for index finger.
6 Special and enhanced and "EXTENDED XL" forend giving a longer forend for use when shooting in alternate position or shooting off packs allowing for proper hand placement
or more surface contact area (off pack)
7 Enlarged area forward of recoil lug for custom and enlarged OAL / DRAKE Quick Change Barrel (QCB) nut clearance
8 Exclusive Right hand Left Hand Chassis design (patent pending)
9 Additional holes in 3/9 oclock position for use with 6" Picitinny Rail assemblies that contain flush cup design
10 Optional 6 oclock position rail or bipod stud
11 Optional folder device/pivot for butt stock
12 Drake has selected the superior FAB defense GL-Shock Buttstock as a standard upgrade over the traditional Magpul CT

GL-Shock features:
• Reduces recoil and muzzle rise to allow faster, more accurate fire.
• 5 sling attachment points, including 2 QR attachment points.
• Storage compartment for batteries or parts.
• MIL-SPEC reinforced polymer composite, steel hardware, rubber buttpad.
• Fits any weapon that accepts M-4/AR15 style stocks.
• Patented system reduces recoil and muzzle rise.
• Auto-tensioner for no-rattle fit on both mil-spec and commercial tubes!
• Comfortable rubber butt pad provides traction on body armor.
• Streamlined shape will not snag on gear.
• Cheek riser is adjustable for optimal height for optics.
(NO ADDITIONAL Cheek pieces Need to be added)

CBryars2
01-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Ok finally got suppressor installed and my repaired scope back on the rifle. Scope worked great, really missed it. Sighted in at 100 yds, all working well. Added suppressor and all I can say is wow! Real decrease in noise and a much different recoil pulse, more a gentle push than a sharp jolt. Shot 10 rounds, last set was sub moa - best guess around .5 with 1 called flyer. Will post target tomorrow with analysis using On Target PC. The Sig 338 Ti-QD worked perfectly and removal was a breeze (that suppressor really does get hot, time to "borrow an oven mitt).

Only negative is an extra 9" on barrel and a little more weight. POI shift was significant, looks to be about 2".

All in all, very pleased. Wife used her new Sig 7.62 Ti-QD on her RPR. Worked very well. She was only able to shoot about 15 rounds as she is having some issues with left arm.

Any suggestions on a mirage cover for the suppressor?

CBryars2
01-09-2017, 11:41 AM
As promised, here is a photo of the Stealth 300 WM results with Sig Suppressor. The suppressor is the 338Ti-QD mounted on the 300 (still waiting for 338 adapter). Called the pull, otherwise met expectations.
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y437/cbryars2/300WM%20Stealth%2002-Jan-2017%20100yd%20Suppressed_zpsnxsntdxb.jpg

CBryars2
02-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Went to Talladega and had ok results, somewhat inconsistant (approx 1 moa at 200yd). RSO came over and we found the rail was a little loose (on both 300WM and .338). Did not have right tool to tighten in the deep set screw, so called it a day. Moral of the story - check your rails often - espescially before driving 150 miles each way.

Good news, no issues with the suppressor.

CBryars2
03-21-2017, 10:40 PM
Retorque and loctite, going to range in a few days and will post. Read another thread talking about may be needing new screws. Any thoughts?

CBryars2
03-29-2017, 09:37 PM
Testing did not go well, 100 yd opened up and testing the rail showed loose again. Have onsite gunsmith and he verefied rail hole thread was not holding. Called Savage, packed up and ready to ship tomorrow. Hope they retap for a bigger hex bolt\torx screw.

bossmav
04-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Testing did not go well, 100 yd opened up and testing the rail showed loose again. Have onsite gunsmith and he verefied rail hole thread was not holding. Called Savage, packed up and ready to ship tomorrow. Hope they retap for a bigger hex bolt\torx screw.

I called Savage tech support about this issue and the lady there told me that 2 of the 4 screws that hold the rail on are a little longer than the other 2, all mine are the same length. That was 8 days ago and I'm still waiting on them, ?.

The 8-40 cheese head screws that Savage used is a little odd to say the least, I feel a 10-32 flat socket head cap screw with a standard 82 degree taper would've been the correct ticket to use on this large caliber of firearm.

As always just my .02

Terry

CBryars2
04-30-2017, 12:42 AM
Got 300 WM back from Savage in 3 weeks door to door. They went over entire rifle and fixed the rail. Looks like they drilled rail to allow screws to go deeper. Screws replaced and receiver tapped out to clean up threads. Seems secure for now.

Will go Monday and rezero. Hoping for the best.

CBryars2
05-17-2017, 01:52 PM
Attempted to rezero. Scope wuld not go low enough. Rail appears to be holding. Think the rail was milled a little lower to allow srews to engage more fully. If it does it again, may just buy longer screws )not sure screw is right word - any ideas correct wording?).

CBryars2
05-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Update - Reset scope zero using link from internet. Worked perfectly, rezeroed and baselined at 0. Now have 30.8 mils from bottom of scope. Zero at 7.2 mils up leaves me with 23.6 so good to over 1 mile. All shot well and back to < MOA at 100. Planned trip to Talladega Thursday and will get some real results. Have not adjusted base load for the suppressor, using RL22 at 74 gr with Berger 185 OTM. between 2900-3000 fps so nice long legs.

CBryars2
05-19-2017, 12:30 PM
Talladega update - Went real well. Got dope for 200, 300 and 600. Rifle shot in 10 ring at all ranges. Wind was stiff with 7-10 mph left to right. Using GAP in Bushell scope was able to compensate. No issues with rail, scope or rifle. Got weird results from ballistics solver, so established zero with first 3 shots. Load Berger OTM 185, RL22 74gr, Honady and PPU Brass.

Shot 6.5 Steath with similar results.

CBryars2
06-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Made another trip to Talladega, took 338 & 300WM. On 300 WM, went straight to 600. Rifle shot well and no issues. Wind 10 mph right to left, able to hold 10 ring and best group had 5 x's ad all grouped at top of the ring. Confidence in suppressor and rifle growing where can pull it out of the case and reasonably able to make a shot.

With some of the teething pains gone, liking the rifle more and more.

CBryars2
06-18-2017, 09:59 PM
Promised pictures from Talladega. Savage Stealth 300WM. Berger 185 OTM with RL-22 74gr. Wind 10 mph Right to left. Not sure what x out on shot 1 & 2 mean, will have to ask next time I go. Really good trip. On this rifle, no working up to 600, just started with previous dope. Felt really good. The 300 WM is my favorite of the rifles I currently have or any in the past.

Photobucket trying to charge to show images - any ideas?

CBryars2
07-05-2017, 02:26 PM
Did some more analysis. Above target was 5.311 at 600 yds. MOA was 0.845. 10 mph right to left wind.

Tested 300 WM with Magnetospeed, load RL-22 74g, Berger 185 OTM Juggernaut. Was expecting abut 2900 fps. Got repeated (8 shots) all > 3100 fps. Avg 3120 SD 11.2. All with Suppressor.

Need to work that SD down, looks like my scales are allowing 3 or so powder per .1 gr.

Suggestions?

squirrel_slayer
07-06-2017, 08:24 AM
have you considered the 215 hybrid with H1000? I hear it's the bee's knee in the WM aside from that looks like it's doing pretty well for a off the shelf gun.