PDA

View Full Version : Help with Savagitis

lamrith
10-24-2016, 10:15 PM
As someone else in this subforum said, this area was tailor made for me. I have a heck of a time deciding on a new setup at times. I get into analysis mode and try to research everything I can. As often as not though right after I make a decision (without having asked questions) I find some gotcha with what I chose. This time I am hoping to avoid that. I have owned two Savage Axis in .308; an Axis XP and an Axis-SR. Both guns shot well and were a super value, but just did not capture me. That said I am a fan of the 10/11 action after having handled them a few times in various stores.

Like many, I am trying to find that "one" gun as my bolt action setup. I know it will lead to a second, but a guy can dream!! I want something that will be enjoyable on bench as that will see the most use but also not so heavy or bench-rest oriented that I cannot hunt with it a few days a year. I am not a fan of modern season hunting here in WA, but it is what my son does so I go out with him on occasion and need a hiking friendly rifle.

I Have been an AR/Semi guy since I started into firearms 4 years ago, and have been using my 6.5grendel for deer hunting to this point. It also has been my 1st real subMOA gun and is quite enjoyable to shoot and only weighs 9#6oz. I have not yet had the chance to shoot beyond 200yrds, but my range does 600yrd a few times a year and I have found some places now that I can go anytime and enjoy longer distances. But while I love the AR platform, I find with how we hunt and laws here it can be problematic having to chamber and unchamber a round every time we get to the vehicle or a new spot to hunt. AR's just can be rough on rounds if you have to chamber and unchamber frequently, and with how loud they are to chamber a round you pretty much have to always chamber a round at your vehicle and carry ready to go with the safety on.

Sooooo.. I want to get a bolt gun for double duty. I have considered MVP, Ruger American as well, but just like the Savage action better.

Have:

360 once fired .308 brass.
set of reloading dies
hundreds of .30cal bullets, 150-220grn.
.30 cal 10" suppressor
308 muzzle brake
PA 4-14x40 FFP Mildot scope with 308 BDC

Needs:

approx 20" med/heavy threaded barrel for balance of velocity/reach, easy carry, and brake/can usage.
Ability to change out stock without major limitation or significant extra cost due to particular model, wood stock or maybe chassis down the road.
DBM/magazine of some kind - simpler to unload completely for organized ranges and hunting situations.
Accutrigger
$700 or less street price, closer to 500 the better.

I was looking at the 11 scout and 11 Hog Hunter, is there another one I have missed that is threaded from the factory and not a bench oriented rig or over $700 street price? I really have no need of the iron sites included on either rifle, nice to have but doubt I would ever use them.

I had been pretty much dialed in to the Savage 11 Hog Hunter due to price and longer barrel, but it has blind mag which means chambering all those rounds each time I get to vehicle. I have seen a few things that make it look like it can limit stock choices as well, so I am glad I have not jumped to it yet.
The scout is more $, has the rear mounted peep and scout scope setup which is not best for longer range shooting and would require more $ to convert to normal eye relief setup. It does have a nice big magazine.
10fcp-sr - hearing lots of rumblings and complaints about it on here, but while it is not equal to it's predecessor is it still a good rifle? Better barrel than the two above?
Any other non threaded model in the price window or better yet $100 lower range that I could have threaded locally?

What do I need to watch out for with all the different sub actions? In the hr or so I have spent trying to skim here I have noticed mention of the bolt release location and different mag bottom setups and am not sure how to know which model has which setup.

jpdown
10-25-2016, 11:57 AM
I think the Savage Hog Hunter best fits your needs and wants. The action will fit into any Savage SA, CF stock with the DBM inlet. You may have to do some minor dremel/sanding work to fit the side bolt release sear arm and 20" threaded barrel into a hunting stock. I used a Savage SA, CF, DBM hardwood factory stock ($82.00 Numrich) painted with Duracoat to replace the cheap synthetic stock that came on the hog hunter (Pictured). It now shoots sub 0.5" groups with hand loads (168 gr AMAX and RL 15). Another low cost option is to find a Savage 12FV (Cabela's) synthetic take-off stock (Site classified/WTB ads) which will be a drop in fit for the Savage Hog Hunter action and barrel. A good synthetic blind magazine stock is lighter than a wood stock. The 12FV stock has a beaver-tail forearm that fits the hand and rides a bench rest well. Bed the recoil lug area and fill the first stock cavity of the forearm to improve accuracy potential. The Savage 10/110, top bolt release, CF action gives you more flexibility and aftermarket options for future upgrades.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y333/jpdowns54/PICT0005_zpsvsfglawi.jpg (http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/jpdowns54/media/PICT0005_zpsvsfglawi.jpg.html)

Wide Glide
10-25-2016, 08:03 PM
10fcp-sr - hearing lots of rumblings and complaints about it on here, but while it is not equal to it's predecessor is it still a good rifle? Better barrel than the two above?

I do believe all the complaints have been related to the changes from the old version to the new version mainly the magazine because the magazine on it is not accurate mag brand like the old one.

Also if you plan to switch stocks converting from blind magazine to box magazine at the same time is very simple and not all that expensive if you shop the classified section here on the forums.

The hog Hunters have a top bolt release though which is a plus in my book because of stock availability.

lamrith
10-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Thanks guys! That blind mag from factory does have it's benefits when using the gun as intended busting thru brush for sure, does anyone know how difficult it is to empty the magazine, does it require chambering each round, or can they be pulled out by hand?

So sounds like I need to keep an eye out for a Savage short action, centerfeed stock that is not "blind mag". Everything else should be DBM if it is not a blind mag? The staggered feed ones will not work..? Thanks for the numrich reference, they have a few stock that might work, but I will keep my eye open for that perfect one. Would I want to get the DBM parts from them as well, or would the stocks come with some of them?

While it is work and I would need to reconfirm zero, I wonder if it would work to buy a chassis to put it in for year round bench/range shooting and then transfer the action back to the original stock for the few weeks I actually would hunt with it. I have taken an Axis out of it's stock and it was only a few screws, the 10/11 look about the same.. hrmmm

You guys got me thinking and spending more $ already and I do not have the rifle yet! Anyone know of anyplace having a sale on the Hog Hunter? LGS quoted me $475+tax, buds is cheaper but then $25FFL fee so a wash..

jpdown
10-27-2016, 01:06 AM
You can order the metal trigger guard, metal SA DBM frame assembly (surround) and metal SA magazine bottom plate direct from Savage Arms. Or become a paid member and you'll have access to the classified section and be able to pick up the Savage parts or a stock that members often list here first.

lamrith
10-27-2016, 08:55 PM
Well its a done deal now, called my local ffl and placed the order. I should have it next week! Ordered a EGW 20Moa rail as well.

Thanks guys!