PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Bolt Assembly Screw

Wildcat
10-23-2016, 04:41 PM
Guys,
I need a little help. I have a 110 long action flat back action(originally 7mm Rem Mag if it matters) that I want to use as the base for a build. It has the old style slotted bolt assembly screw. I'd like to swap it out for a newer socket head style bolt assemblyscrew (BAS). I disassembled the bolt and placed the slotted BASnext to a socket head BAS (see photo --- hopefully the link works) to compare the two. The older BAS is longer and theface is higher profile, but the length of the threaded area isidentical. My question regards the overall length of the two screws.The slotted BAS has an reduced diameter extension or"tab" on top of the threaded area of the screw thatthe socket head BAS is missing. Does anyone know the functionof this "tab"? More importantly, by reassembling the boltwith a BAS without this "tab", will this change thefunctioning of the bolt?

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o526/pic8589/20161023_114833_zpsq0rg3hqa.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/pic8589/media/20161023_114833_zpsq0rg3hqa.jpg.html)

Irealize I could reassemble the bolt and dry fire and see whathappens. I might have an answer then. If not, then I guess I could reassemble the action and try to fire a cartridge. However, I rather not dothat as I have already removed the barrel and don't have the proper headspace gauges for reassembly. I have usually been able to find answers to my questions using the Search function rather than posting, but Icouldn't find an answer this time. I know many of you haveprobably forgotten more about the Savage action than I will likely ever know, so I hopeyou will be kind enough to share some of your extensive knowledge.

Respectfully,

Wildcat

drybean
10-23-2016, 04:59 PM
No problem, go ahead an swap them

darkker
10-23-2016, 05:16 PM
No problem, go ahead an swap them

Yep

geargrinder
10-23-2016, 06:39 PM
The extended part of the slotted BAS just goes into the cocking sleeve.

The newer hex style does not. The both function the same.

Swap it and forget it. Now is a good time to shorten the new BAS and install a bolt lift kit.