PDA

View Full Version : Shilen and X-Caliber Barrels Opinion

RC20
10-23-2016, 04:13 PM
Keeping this as simple as I can for a bit of a convoluted pair of projects.

I have a Shilen Bull in 30-06 (special order, there simply are NO heavy barrel pre sits out there in 30-06) and an X-Caliber Bull in 308. Both the standard 1-10 twist, 26 inches.

I would rate them both equal. I think the X-Caliber bull was an Apache done barrel (I got it through Jim and he was working with Dennis)

One problem I have had is that my shooting is not as nearly as good as I think it should be, makes it tough to sort through the shooter, the gun, optics or the barrel.

One reason I have those two was to get two sources that should be pretty solid barrels (Shilen with a longer record than X-Caliber) and that removes barrels as an issue.

I caused myself some grief with the new stock (EABCO) I seem to have that sorted out. I like the Thumbhole, it just needs to get setup right.

I have had some good (to me) 1/2 and 3/8 groups with the Shilen and some 3 and 4 shots once or twice a shooting session into one hole.

The X-Caliber was working down in that area as well and got a group Saturday that I have yet to fully figure out.

Pretty much tore up the paper in something around 3/8 or 1/4 instead of neat holes (or hole) (all 5 shot strings)

Loads for both guns are getting dialed in, so a couple weeks ago the Shilen shot the best groups, this week the X-Caliber.
Loads all use 168 gr Hornady Match or ZMAX.

Any difference as near as I can determine is how well I am shooting one gun or the other, the better optics is on the Shilen right now, stocks are a split, EABCO is heavier and more solid but fighting the cheek riser that I have to grind down so my muffs don't hang up on it.

I believe both barrels are good for 3/8 if the shooter and the loads can do it.

m12lrs
10-23-2016, 05:35 PM
Practice is what it sounds like you need.

Reloading would help get the cost of ammo down and allow.you to wring out the best possible accuracy in your rifles.

Consistency is what you need to work on. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

I can't use muffs shooting a rifle. Can't get a consistent cheek weld. Get some good ear plugs

MI223
10-24-2016, 06:51 AM
I have had both shillen and xcaliber and I see no noticeable difference. but like you my ability my play a factor in that. But in my opinion they are both fine choices.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

LoneWolf
10-24-2016, 08:44 AM
I shoot a 7 Twist 5R 6 Creed XCaliber Barrel. Yesterday after the VPRC Match I hit a 10" plate at 1130yds in 2 shots. Load dev was 8rds to find the velocity range I wanted loaded up 115 DTAC RBT's 15 Thou off the lands and went to work. 219rds on the barrel and placed 8th out of 38 Shooters in a Tactical Match yesterday. Shortest distance yesterday was around 350yds with the longest at 1180yds. If I hadn't made a few mistakes on my part the rifle would have put them exactly where they need to be every time.

This is my 4th XCaliber barrel and I don't see my self switching any time soon!

RC20
10-24-2016, 01:01 PM
It is good to be able to cross confirm and see both barrels responding to my shooting.

Other good barrels out there of course, but both of those look to be solid.

Practice is what it sounds like you need.

Reloading would help get the cost of ammo down and allow.you to wring out the best possible accuracy in your rifles.

Consistency is what you need to work on. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

I can't use muffs shooting a rifle. Can't get a consistent cheek weld. Get some good ear plugs

I do reload, been back at it about 4 years now. Work in progress, I have the basics down good. The odd part is the strange flyers. I had one go way out of the group I was shooting, so I just shot the rest to see what I could do. 8 shots in 5/8 group, the one flyer out there at 7/8 or 1 inch.

Agreed on the consistency. I had not realized how difficult it would be to get there and stay there (get there from time to time, staying is another story)

The goal is sub 5/8 MOA maximum. Hope to get to 1/2. At that I expect occasionally to get 1/4.

rjtfroggy
10-24-2016, 04:59 PM
Shot a 100 yard VFS match on Saturday using a 6BR X Caliber my score 245 with 8x's. Weather conditions were absolutely terrible, pouring rain, gusting winds, and 40* temps..
Not my best score to date but close.
My recommendation the X Caliber.

Robinhood
10-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Things I look at when flyers kill a group. Primer, primer seating, bullet/case neck R.O., consistent neck tension and possibly powder weight consistency if over 100yds.

RC20
10-25-2016, 11:11 AM
Shot a 100 yard VFS match on Saturday using a 6BR X Caliber my score 245 with 8x's. Weather conditions were absolutely terrible, pouring rain, gusting winds, and 40* temps..
Not my best score to date but close.
My recommendation the X Caliber

That was what was interesting was after sorting out what I was going to order, the X-Caliber name kept coming up and it was a line I wanted to try anyway.

Dennis had one so it was, what the heck.

The only miner issue is it cleans up harder than the Shilen. Not bad but takes a few more passes. Savage barrel is the worst and by a fair amount.

Vartarg
11-05-2016, 01:46 PM
I've got a 6BRX from X-Caliber, and I liked the fact that i could order the 1-7 twist....I'm shooting the Berger 115gr VLD bullets.

I just emailed Shilen to ask if they could/would offer a 7 or 7.5 twist barrel for the Savage....

George

RC20
11-07-2016, 03:09 PM
The one item I would add is that the Shilen cleans up quicker than the X-Caliber.