PDA

View Full Version : New 11 Scout or 10 FCP-SR 24"?

Hemi45
10-22-2016, 10:36 PM
Hey Folks,

I have a 20" Rem 700 SPS Tac in a B&C stock - nice heavy bench gun. Being fairly new to bolt actions, that is the only .308 I have and want to add a second. I like my .223 Hog Hunter enough to buy another Savage.

I know they couldn't be more opposite but for different reasons each appeals to me and they share a key feature I want in my next rifle, a 10 round DBM.

I've read the FCP used to be great but is left wanting in it's current form. I've also read the opposite of the Scout. It seems both would benefit from better bottom metal / mags.

Speaking strictly in terms of quality, reliability and accuracy is one better than the other when purchased new in 2016?

I'm seeing them for sale within $50 of each other, so price isn't a determining factor. I want a rifle I can count on, enjoy and pass down in several years.

J.Baker
10-22-2016, 11:31 PM
First, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Most of the negative you find about the 10 FCP-SR stems from the change from the ACIS 10rd magazine to Savage's proprietary 10rd magazine. Aside from the Savage really only a 9rd magazine in my view, the couple I've used worked flawlessly.

The newer Scout rifle is a great gun, and is one of the few models currently offered by Savage that would entice me to buy today - if they offered a left-hand model.

As far as quality from one to the other, you're basically comparing apples to apples in that regard. Everything is made on the same machines with the same tooling from the same raw bar stock, and all the small parts are the same, so it's pretty much a wash. Guys who have the FCP-SR will say buy it because it's better, while guys who have the Scout will tell you to buy it for the same reason. Either one will serve you just as well as the other, so it really comes down to which one tickles your fancy more.

Hemi45
10-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Thank you, that's good to hear! I'm actually leaning toward the Scout. It seems more versatile overall and next year we're moving to Tallahassee where I'll have increased hunting opportunities.