PDA

View Full Version : 116 shooting low.

Pages : 1 2 [3]

RustyShackle
10-30-2016, 08:43 PM
Rusty The only time I have seen anything similar is when a junior Savagesmith try's to remove the barrel by holding the action through the loading and ejection ports. That would cause a twist as well. Fred and a couple of others have posted on this. I am sure one gets by the inspectors every now and then

Seems to me the stock would pull much of this out when tightening. There would probably be a "spring" feeling as you tighten the action. One end would be more prominent. This would be the litmus a test to confirm the issue being described. If you look at a lot of savage actions you often see where the actions where run through something like a centerless grinder/polisher/sander to clean up the OD. The marks I have seen remind me of the part dwelling for whatever reason and the abrasive gouging spots in the OD.

Yes, it was a bizarre find. The odd part is that the straight edge was perfect along the bottom of the receiver so somebody got a little overly ambitious or something when machining. Savage replaced the rifle and was more than fair about the whole thing. It did take them a considerable amount of time to get it replaced, but I’m sure they are made in batches and I was just in between runs.

Berserker, glad to hear things were figured out!

Berserker
10-30-2016, 09:21 PM
I've got the original scope back on. The new one is sighted, and ready for deer hunting. Not touching it. But if I don't add the shims, the last guy did, and it works, out, then I know I am good. Plus looking at the alignment rods makes me feel better. Hopefully I had them balanced good last time. Just got them this week. I did noticed they can tilt a little. But they are heavy, and tip if you go to fire.

I miked the bases too. The fronts are different.

I wanted to go to one piece, but they only had one in short action, locally.