PDA

View Full Version : 116 shooting low.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

big honkin jeep
10-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Call Leupold customer service and they will probably send you the one you need for free if you explain what happened.
I'm a big fan of dual dovetail scope mounts. They don't have the windage adjustments like the standard mounts with nothing to come loose or get knocked out of whack.
I called Leupold customer service and explained that I love the dual dovetail mounts and they no longer catalog them, and that I hate to spend the cash on 2 sets only to throw the rears away. I also explained that I had already purchased one of the standard sets because that's what I could find. They sent me another dovetail front base free that I installed on the rear and I wound up with a dual dovetail set. (These are pretty far apart so will only work on a scope with a fairly long tube) They were perfect for mounting a Bushnell elite 3200 onto my model 110FP long action and are rock solid.
They gave me great customer service and I'm sure they would do the same for you.

Berserker
10-25-2016, 04:48 PM
I saw on leopold website front and rear dovetail.

big honkin jeep
10-25-2016, 06:06 PM
They had discontinued the dual dovetails for Savages for quite a while. Since the newer round receiver models are the same front and rear and not different like the flatbacks it was easy on em, since they were parts being made anyway as the front part of a standard set. Nice to see them as a catalog item again :)

My call to Leupold customer service has been a few years, but the service I received was outstanding.

Berserker
10-25-2016, 07:56 PM
I had to use windage screws on rear screw. But I also don't know for sure I was aligned properly. I alternated screws when installing. Like to see what my new alignment pins show.

If you use both front and rear alignments, and have them both aligned perfectly, I would think you would be less likely to need crude adjustments. I suspect mine were because I was off when installing, but that is a guess.

Fotheringill
10-26-2016, 10:00 AM
This is not a cheap fix but take a look at Burris Signature Xtreme rings. With the inserts, they will give you +/-40 and you can fine tune from there. You were shooting at 50 yards. Your results were bizarre. I have had that 4 foot and more drop at 100 yards but not 50. Problem was solved with the Burris Signature Extreme rings. You can get a way with less expensive Burris Signature rings if you have 1" tube. Were the mounts duplicates of each other? There may have been a mix and match somewhere in the rifle's history.

scuzzy
10-26-2016, 12:20 PM
i feel bad for ya. that is unfortunate. the "experts" at these shops should be qualified. However, the more interaction I have with them, the more I realize they know very little. I wouldn't allow any retail employee to install anything on a firearm I own or am purchasing. the store that botched it up should fix any and all problems, but I am betting they blame the consumer....good luck.

Berserker
10-26-2016, 06:03 PM
I bought it 2 years ago, so probably not worth it. Though I know they count on it.

RustyShackle
10-28-2016, 11:50 PM
Take a straight edge across each end of the receiver. If you have an older round rear 116 its possible that the receiver was machined incorrectly. i.e. both front and rear of the receiver will be out of plane. Straight edge across should show discrepancy if one exists.

Robinhood
10-29-2016, 06:36 AM
Take a straight edge across each end of the receiver. If you have an older round rear 116 its possible that the receiver was machined incorrectly. i.e. both front and rear of the receiver will be out of plane. Straight edge across should show discrepancy if one exists.

Something about this seems incorrect, "If you have an older flat back...." maybe?

Berserker
10-29-2016, 11:21 AM
Thanks. But already figured out the front and rear bases are different heights.

RustyShackle
10-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Something about this seems incorrect, "If you have an older flat back...." maybe?

Nope, there were a batch of 'older' 116's that had the receivers machined out of plane(round front and rear). I had a scope failure on a 116 and then put its replacement in burris sig rings. Later I was going to install a single piece base and that's when I noticed the issue. Savage took good care of me!

Berserker
10-29-2016, 03:35 PM
It is either 06 or 09, bought used, but looked up serial number. Both front and rear are round.

RustyShackle
10-29-2016, 06:06 PM
well the time frame is correct to be in the run that had issues. If I could post pics here I would post pics of what mine looked like. Easiest way to determine if there are any issues is to place a flat edge on the rear portion of the receiver. See if it aligns with the front or if the is a gap, or possibly it intersects the front of the receiver.

do you have to use a url to post pics here, or can I embed them?

Robinhood
10-30-2016, 12:05 AM
Can you explain "out of plain" ? I invision out of concentricity where the axis of the barrel threads and bolt raceway are not aligned with the OD axis when I read that but I'm not sure.

Berserker
10-30-2016, 12:16 AM
I bought new bases today. After I mount I will use alignment rods to see if there is an issue. The bases Cabelas used did not match. Then shimmed inside rings. Possible gn has issues, and they were trying to work through them. Pissed me off they didn't tell me they used shims. Even if they didn't realize mix matched bases, they should have told me.

The guy didn't like savages, maybe he just figured that is the way they are. Not overly happy myself the way a Leupold fits on them, no room to slide scope back.

RustyShackle
10-30-2016, 01:32 AM
Can you explain "out of plain" ? I invision out of concentricity where the axis of the barrel threads and bolt raceway are not aligned with the OD axis when I read that but I'm not sure.

So each of the respective receiver ends(front and rear) were not in the same geometrical plane. They were however parallel with each other, just a couple degrees ‘off’.

The link below I believe was a similar issue to what I had going on.

http://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/the-savage-weather-warrior-mystery-continues.559442/

https://www.shootersforum.com/gunsmithing/74590-savage-scope-mount-issues.html

Hopefully linking this isn't taboo...

olddav
10-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Not overly happy myself the way a Leupold fits on them, no room to slide scope back.

That is why I mentioned a one piece base. It lets you move the scope further back. I have also cut the stock to help me get closer to the scope.

Robinhood
10-30-2016, 12:06 PM
Rusty The only time I have seen anything similar is when a junior Savagesmith try's to remove the barrel by holding the action through the loading and ejection ports. That would cause a twist as well. Fred and a couple of others have posted on this. I am sure one gets by the inspectors every now and then

Seems to me the stock would pull much of this out when tightening. There would probably be a "spring" feeling as you tighten the action. One end would be more prominent. This would be the litmus a test to confirm the issue being described. If you look at a lot of savage actions you often see where the actions where run through something like a centerless grinder/polisher/sander to clean up the OD. The marks I have seen remind me of the part dwelling for whatever reason and the abrasive gouging spots in the OD.

Berserker
10-30-2016, 07:02 PM
New bases on. Checked with alignment rods, and everything looks good.

Holding the front bases against each other, they look the same. But the new one has deeper concave, causing it to it to sit lower on the rifle.

I am going to email Leupold, the numbers and ask what they should be for, explain what happened. Maybe get them to send me correct match. Would have saved $25 if I did this in the summer, instead of 2 weeks before hunting season. But I start thinking about new scopes right before hunting season.

Berserker
10-30-2016, 07:05 PM
First time using alignment rods. Will set rectile up with plum bob. Be interesting to see close it is.