PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis .223 to 270 question

trapper3518
10-21-2016, 10:00 PM
Okay guys here goes, been out of the bolt gun scene for a few years so bear with me. Started out building a 6.5 Creedmoor and bought an Axis in 7mm-08, 3 days till I got my barrel and dropped it on and done. I then picked up an accutrigger Axis in .270 and put the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on that receiver. Now I have a non accutrigger .270 Axis. Got 3 more rifles in the next week and to shorten things up I am all done but the only left over bolt is out of an Axis in .223 and it needs a home in the .270. Ordered what I thought was the correct bolt head and the back shank is longer and will not allow the firing pin to protrude. I could have the .223 bolt opened up but that's more than buying the correct bolt head lol.

Second part of my question is how **** many types of bolts did Savage use for the Axis? I know the bolt heads should interchange from the 10/110 and up on most models but I have 3 Axis, all in the .308 family and each one has a different type of firing pin in the bolt body with different designed heads. If someone way more learned than I could tell me what bolt head I need to convert an Axis .223 to .270 that would be awesome, barrel is already on and waiting to be head spaced.

Thanks ahead guys for the help.

drybean
10-21-2016, 10:44 PM
you need a short action bolt head

Robinhood
10-22-2016, 12:10 AM
you need a short action bolt head
Yep. Unless you are real good with a bench grinder.

DrThunder88
10-22-2016, 06:42 AM
Yep. Unless you are real good with a bench grinder.

Or hand files and a drill press! (https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL6mstF7_2-gm3WnoBZZ1QLpjIeoFWXqg9&v=zMt3JA14Vn4)

I'd actually like to see a photo of the different firing pins, trapper. The Axis design philosophy has always seemed to be simplicity, so the idea that there are different firing pins seems strange. I own seven Axises myself, and all of their firing pins are the same. However, I've never owned a .223 Remington Axis, so maybe that is where the difference occurs.

trapper3518
10-22-2016, 11:01 AM
Ordered from Brownells, short action bolt head in the .308 family and its possible they sent me the wrong one. The other short action heads I have are fluch or flat ended on the shank and the one they sent is tapered on the inside for a shoulder to stop on as well as the end of the shank. I have another short action head in the .308 family that has a flat recessed shoulder in the end of the shank and that pin has a large should and the smaller one that hits inside the shank. I put some photos up on bucket but cant seem to get the hyperlink to work but will keep trying. I also have 3 pins with 3 types of springs, 2 piece single spring and one in a sleeve. I am not discouraged and I love figuring out crap but man lol.

I am good with a grinder by the way but not that good lol.