PDA

View Full Version : and so it begins (build)

wjarrell
10-21-2016, 04:52 PM
I have had an old 111 flat top blind mag sitting my gun safe for several years and now I'm putting it to use. I've never built or had a someone build me a rifle, so this will be my first custom rifle. Hunting only deer sized game and shooting steel for fun. Today I order a Criterion barrel from northland, it's a 260 rem with a match chamber, 24" lite varmint contour. I'm going to put a Sightron s-tac 3-16x42 on top. I can't wait. I'm not sure what stock I'm going with yet but I know its not going to be a Mcmillan or Manners because they're too expensive for me. With the contour and blind mag the only options I have are Boyd's or Bell and Carlson (open up the barrel channel on the B&C)

wjarrell
10-24-2016, 08:52 AM
Any suggestions on a stock?

drybean
10-24-2016, 09:33 AM
SSS makes some very nice stocks

WeldNFool
10-29-2016, 12:54 AM
I've been looking at Sharp Shooters Supply for several weeks now. Have looked at Manners, McMillan, Boyds and many others but keep coming back to SSS. I've heard good things about their stocks and recently bought a few items from them. Have emailed Lisa several times with questions and she has been very helpful. One more question was emailed and if they can do what I am asking I will be buying one of their low profile bench rest stocks. They carry a good looking Varmint stock(LVT). Plus that is their specialty, Savage rifles.

The Manners and McMillan's may be the piece de resistance but at $700+ to get your foot in the door(have to include the aluminum bed as additional, $149 as I was told) and I'm with you, more money than I am willing to spend. Wait time from both was 6 months but wasn't a definite at my door in 6 months. I talked with a friend a few days ago that said several benchrest shooters he shoots with have had the Manners stocks break while shooting. Those are things I don't want to hear when I'm spending $700 plus on a stock and while searching for a stock it will make me tuck tail and run fast!

243LPR
10-30-2016, 04:44 PM
There's always Choate if you don't mind the weight. Very solid.

cowtownup
10-30-2016, 05:15 PM
I have the SSS LVT stock and it has been a great stock. I'm always looking for another one for sale in the classifieds but have never found one...

handirifle
10-30-2016, 05:18 PM
That's going to be a fairly heavy deer rifle, for sure.

wjarrell
10-30-2016, 06:30 PM
I didn't realize choate stocks weighed so much. For some reason I keep going back to the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock.

psharon97
10-30-2016, 07:41 PM
I have a LVT stock from SSS and is easily my favorite stock. The quality is beautiful, the craftsmanship is first class. This stock isn't a stock I'm willing to beat around carrying it over hill and dale. This stock is very heavy. It does provide a very steady platform and helps to soak up some of the recoil from the 7mm rem mag that Fred also built for me.

I would look at boyds for a decent stock to carry around for hunting. The SSS LVT stock is a great stock, but for hunting any kind of game, I would look at another stock. Also, the lead times for most of SSS custom works is ~6 months and you have to pay up front for their work. Not a big deal for me, but it can be to some people.

Robinhood
10-31-2016, 06:33 AM
Stockade if you don't mind the "wait".

6.5savageguy
10-31-2016, 10:13 AM
There's always Choate if you don't mind the weight. Very solid.

This /\ I have several Choate stocks I've bought new and used. I have the tacticals and yes they are a little heavy but I've been very happy with them and I feel they are a great value all things considered.