PDA

View Full Version : Action question??

goosedowner
10-21-2016, 10:43 AM
I have been considering building a few rifles. I would love to build myself and 28" 257 WBY Mag and with 5 Grand kids I'm sure some of them will want to shoot and hunt so I would Love to build a Deer gun for them (243 or 7mm08). My Grand kids ages range from 2 to 7 so I have a some time to get this done. My plan is to buy used guns between the end of our deer hunting season and Christmas when people sell cheap.
So my question is does it matter which action I use, Axis, Stevens or Savage?
I will most likely be buying used guns with the correct action length and bolt face size and replacing everything else.

Thanks

rjtfroggy
10-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Savage or Stevens will have more after market support for stocks and just about every thing else.
Axis for the price is just about unbeatable ( disclaimer I do not own one) and almost everyone raves about accuracy.
So to me the question would be buy new( Axis ) or spend as much or more rebuilding a used one ( Savage). Your choice.

wbm
10-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Excepting the trigger, I like the Axis receiver better.

darkker
10-21-2016, 02:25 PM
Never handled the Edge/Axis, but agree that the Stevens/Savage line has better aftermarket support.
...Or I'd make you a smoking deal in a A-Bolt in 270...:cool:

big honkin jeep
10-21-2016, 02:51 PM
I have owned 2 Axis. Key word being owned (past tense)
I know some guys seem to love them. I cant get past the weird recoil lug arrangement or the stock design.
I'd go with something on the 10/110 action. I have found the older flat backs are great project rifles and most all the factory parts can be improved rather than replaced.
Improving the factory parts instead of replacing them is the part that makes Savage projects so much fun for me. Bedding stocks, making the bolt lift kit, trigger springs and adjustments, adjusting length of pull, paint, barrel length and swaps, these are the things about the early 10/110s that are fun for me. They typically shoot very well as is, but they are are economical and leave lots of room to tinker on most every part of the rifle.
The Savage 10/110 and Stevens 200 will be the same action.
In my opinion, The newer stuff with accutriggers and accustocks are so good out of the box and stunningly accurate once broken in that they generally dont leave much if any tinkering. Primarily just aesthetic touches to an individuals taste or maybe a barrel swap if you want to change calibers.
Good luck

goosedowner
10-21-2016, 03:30 PM
After doing a little more research I came to the same conclusion as you with the Axis guns. The 257 WBY will deffinetly be a barrel swap. I just need to figure out which action to use.
Thanks for the advice

I have owned 2 Axis. Key word being owned (past tense)
I know some guys seem to love them. I cant get past the weird recoil lug arrangement or the stock design.
I'd go with something on the 10/110 action. I have found the older flat backs are great project rifles and most all the factory parts can be improved rather than replaced.
Improving the factory parts instead of replacing them is the part that makes Savage projects so much fun for me. Bedding stocks, making the bolt lift kit, trigger springs and adjustments, adjusting length of pull, paint, barrel length and swaps, these are the things about the early 10/110s that are fun for me. They typically shoot very well as is, but they are are economical and leave lots of room to tinker on most every part of the rifle.
The Savage 10/110 and Stevens 200 will be the same action.
In my opinion, The newer stuff with accutriggers and accustocks are so good out of the box and stunningly accurate once broken in that they generally dont leave much if any tinkering. Primarily just aesthetic touches to an individuals taste or maybe a barrel swap if you want to change calibers.
Good luck

Zero333
10-22-2016, 01:54 AM
257 WeatherMag would work nicely in a 111 long action. I have a 111 action and mine is one of the smoothest action I have ever cycled (guess I got lucky).

For the youngsters I recommend the 243win over the 7mm08 (I have both) because in the same weight rifle I feel the recoil of the 7mm08 to be noticeably more than the 243's. And Factory ammo for the 243win is everywhere.

strut64
10-22-2016, 07:17 AM
I agree with ZERO above. Start with a rifle already in a MAG cilibre like 7 Rem Mag of 300 WM and your pathe will be easier. I have both an old flat back and round actions and suggest the newer round action is better for one reason. The availability of scope mounting parts is much better. Have fun.

yobuck
10-22-2016, 09:08 AM
Don't be so set on the Weatherby version 25, that you don't take a hard look at the Ackley version 25/06 also.
In fact if your considering that caliber for its long range potential, then compare available bullets in that caliber to the 6.5 before deciding.
I mean were talking .257 and .264.

Robinhood
10-22-2016, 09:45 AM
I mean were talking .257 and .264

Like wrapping a piece of notebook paper around the bullet one time.

RC20
10-22-2016, 11:15 AM
257 WeatherMag would work nicely in a 111 long action. I have a 111 action and mine is one of the smoothest action I have ever cycled (guess I got lucky).

I am not so sure on the lucky part. Of the three I have, two are really nice bolts for smooth. One 15 years old, the other new. the last one is decent. they seem to turn out a nice bolt and receiver. Old 1903 might be a bit better but they are better than the A3s.

I have handled a few other mfgs and not as good.

bsekf
10-22-2016, 12:55 PM
oops!

bsekf
10-22-2016, 01:00 PM
I just never fell in love with the Weatherby cartridges. Way over bore capacity, weird shoulder radius, lots of pressure and never shot that well...... but they are fast! Poor choice in .25 bullets compared to 6.5mm or 7mm. How about a 6.5x284?

Building Savages for your kids and grandkids.....been there and done that. Lots of fun and, hopefully, the kids will cherish a gun built by gramps. Hey.... ya never know, one of them might shoot gangbusters and you keep it for yourself. Grandma is much happier when you spend money on the grandkids!

I use all long action Stevens/Savages/stagger feed, and try to stay with .473 bolt face. Simplifies the spare parts. I have no aversion to the Acra-trigger.

Just remember, unlike Mauser actions, the safety on the Savage does not block the firing pin. They are mechanical and not to be trusted.

Bill

goosedowner
10-24-2016, 08:34 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. For the Grandkids I'm also considering the 6.5 creed and the 260. I'm leaning towards the 260 that way I can buy 2 or 3 guns in the 308 family and build 308,7-08 or 260 depending on the stature and recoil sensitivity of the kid.
As for the 257 Wby I'm now leaning towards rebarreling the new NRA gun of the year Vanguard that I have now. It has a 24" barrel and I wanted one in 26" or 28".