PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 Re-Stock - Mag Feeding Problems

jeff_in_indy
08-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey guys. I recently bought a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08. First time out, it shot .75 inch groups with my 139gr handloads. Of course, the stock has way too much flex in it and impedes accurate shooting. I called Savage and bought a wood monte carlo stock - I believe it is the stock that comes on the package series 10g. They also sold me the action screws, a new magazine box, follower, clip, and trigger guard.

Everything went together fine, but I cannot feed rounds from the magazine without gouging them on the feed ramp. Unfortunately I can not think in three dimensions and do not know what to do next. The staff I spoke to at the factory seemed to think everything would go together just fine. This seems to be a pretty common complaint with this rifle and the girl rattled off exactly what I needed without any prompting whatsoever.

hailstone
08-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Not quite following there list of needed parts for the conversion from a plastic to wood stock. Other than the wood stock the only other item needed were the action screws. Trigger guard could have been used from the plastic stock as I've done that on several guns until funds were available to up grade. Box magazine, follower with spring and retaining clip should be the same whether wood or plastic stock.

Believe I would use the old parts from your original set up. Assemble them in the wood stock then try chambering a round. If problem persists go completely back to the original configuration. Change one part at a time until it fails too feed properly. Last part changed is the problem more than likely.

dfwbob
08-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Does it happen on every round? Are you only feeding one round at a time? I had a similiar problem when feeding a single round at a time. If I put in two or more rounds, only the last round had the problem. Started looking and I had put the follower in backwards. I mean my shooting partner put the follower in backwards, yeah that's it.

Turned the follower 180 and life was good again. Sometimes my shooting partner does some dumb ****.

jeff_in_indy
08-05-2010, 08:58 PM
My original trigger guard was too wide and did not fit the new stock. I have no choice but to use that new component. My follower only fits in the box one way. I took it all apart, reassembled with the old box and follower and it is *better*. I feel like it could be better if i could get another thousandth out between the mag body and the action. I may torque it down a little further and see if that helps - however I don't have a torque wench and it's all guess work. The problem is more pronounced with soft points vs ballistic tips. I haven't tried the round noses that I intend to use for Wisconsin deer.

hailstone
08-05-2010, 10:08 PM
I over looked which make of rifle you had. For some reason the Stevens trigger guard is wider. Had too do the same on one of mine. You say a "thousand more" between the mag body and the action. If you mean raising the mag body a thousand higher in the stock and closer too the action. Why not add a few shims made from alumnium pop can in the bottom of the stock blind mag recess. Be careful the mag lips don't drag on the bolt bottom.

dwm
08-07-2010, 12:51 AM
That has worked for me when changing Savage/Stevens stocks, shim the mag up closer to the bolt and the feeding problems went away.

I haven't used an aluminum can, but that is a great idea!