View Full Version : How to prevent case head separation

Pages : 1 [2]

Wide Glide
10-25-2016, 03:58 AM
Reading my post again I think I chose my words poorly for the first sentence and came across as a prick. It wasn't intended like that. I just mentioned to say it is a cheap and easy way to get you **** near the same results (imho) that neck turning and bushing neck sizer would without all the trial and error. I'm just another amateur learning as I go

Idaho
10-25-2016, 08:00 AM
Reading my post again I think I chose my words poorly for the first sentence and came across as a prick. It wasn't intended like that. I just mentioned to say it is a cheap and easy way to get you **** near the same results (imho) that neck turning and bushing neck sizer would without all the trial and error. I'm just another amateur learning as I go

HA, I did not take it that way at all. Perhaps my reply gave that impression. That's just me. I really do enjoy all responses and try to learn something from each.

Idaho
10-29-2016, 09:31 PM
Here is an update.

The Redding neck sizing die arrived as did one of the new bushings. Loaded rounds at the neck measure 0.250", the collar that showed up is the 0.249" so I went to work with it. I loaded 10 rounds with only neck sizing and 24.5 gr of CFE223, 10 rounds the exact same way plus a light Lee factory crimp applied. and 5 rounds neck sized as the first ten but with 25 gr of CFE223.

All shot bugholes with one flier that was me in each group. The last group chrono numbers were amazing. 2830fps, ES of 14.5 and SD of 5.38. I checked and I've loaded these into the lands a few thousandths. Now, I just need to see if this is repeatable and if I've cured my case head failures.

I love this stuff.

Robinhood
10-29-2016, 09:57 PM
If you are not over sizing your brass you have cured you r problem.

Idaho
10-29-2016, 11:53 PM
If you are not over sizing your brass you have cured you r problem.
I hope so. Now I'm saving to buy a Vortex Razor HD.

Iowa Fox
11-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Some day when you can spare some time, take a ride to Gillette Wy. Take rt 59 south thru town about 5 miles to Hoe creek rd and turn right.
About 2 miles will bring you to Macs Gunworks on the right. Chuck Macintosh is the owner/gunsmith. He also has a range there where you canshoot at steel targets at 100 yd intervels out to 2000 yds.
He is a very easy guy to meet and get to know. He would no doubt let you shoot one of his guns.
Probably even one of his long range pistols.
You will find that good guns shoot, and they will shoot well for everybody with pretty much whatever you feed them.

I've shot at Chucks for the last 3 summers with he and his friends. Chuck is one of the best long range coach/spotter-shooter I have ever met (thanks to Uncle Sam). This summer I met a fresh returning veteran. Unbelievable long range shooter. Chuck is a good man with a heart of gold.