PDA

View Full Version : Thread lub for SS barrels ??

Pages : 1 [2] 3

sharpshooter
10-25-2016, 12:50 AM
So...who's the big authority that's recommending nickle anti-seize for Savage rifle barrels? Surely it's not Savage.....surely it's not SAAMI....surely it's not AGI....and surely it's not some accomplished benchrest shooter like Tony Boyer or Speedy Gonzales who routinely change barrels multiple times in one match.
This recommendation had to come from a pipe fitter, not a gunsmith......but they are your guns, do whatever makes you feel safe.

darkker
10-25-2016, 09:46 AM
...... Did you just call me Shirley....:cool:

RC20
10-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Well I certainly am not Shirley though I worked with a guy by that name, he went verbally postal on the Forman one day (he had done ti with me when no one was around) , sort of the guy named Sue thing, what he didn't know was the Forman's half brother was standing behind him with a 4 x 4. Said half brother was also the Boxing Champion of the S.W. Pacific in WWII. Not a big guy, very pleasant person, I would not have wanted to mess with him. I got to watch him get fired, something to be said for standing your ground but not complaining and let them hang themselves.

That said as I have stated on maybe 8 occasions, NSS with their action wrench gives both torque specs and the use of anti seize.

As those two go together, I think its a credible source and solid advice form my experience with machinery (not sure how far back you want to go, my dad was a mechanic so I grew up around it)

My personal take is it stops metal to metal grinding, its required to meet the torque spec as without it you have to guess what dry is translated to.

Me, I have no issue with someone who wants to use coconut oil, devcon, pear juice etc. I found NSS recommendation matches my experience and am using it.

So, if someone asks, that is what I reply with citing the source and recommending the action wrench they supply (its got all the right stuff and it even has toque specs for the main clamp bolts as well as the action fastener.

At the very least its a good starting point for someone who does not know this stuff and at worst its a good finishing point as well and I continue to go with it.

sharpshooter
10-25-2016, 01:10 PM
NSS doesn't actually build guns,...... take that for what it's worth.

Robinhood
10-25-2016, 08:31 PM
:rolleyes: Theoretically you could elongate the chamber by torquing a lubricated barrel/action joint. I wonder if that would cause a situation not fixed by primary extraction.

FW Conch
10-26-2016, 01:34 PM
^ Cool ^ ... How many foot pounds does it take to turn a 30/06 chamber into a 30 Gibbs? ;-))

RC20
10-26-2016, 01:42 PM

You asked for the citation and got it.

Someplace I have it that Savage uses 90 ft lbs (and it has to be with whatever "gunk" they put on the threads.

Having taken off 3 now, I can tell you its a hell of a lot tighter that 50 ft lbs. That may be the gunk or it may be the toque.

FW Conch
10-26-2016, 04:52 PM
I know what 90 to 100 foot pounds is supposed to feel like. It's not the torque.

It's the "GUNK"

Apply a little heat and the nut behaves as 100ft/lbs should.

m12lrs
10-26-2016, 06:16 PM
Well I change barrels often on my switchbarrel. Don't use anything.close to 100 foot lbs. More like.40 and I do use a torque wrench.

I soon plan to Loctite the barrel nut to the barrel. That way I can just spin the barrel off and spin the next one on lining up the index marks and headspace should be consistent.

I will say with anti-seize a little goes a.long way.

RC20
10-26-2016, 07:44 PM

I don't either, I sternly suspect you don't

Unless I see something that does not track, I will accept their data.

No issue with following it so far, pushing 500 rounds down each barrel.

One with the NSS nut and one without.

RC20
10-26-2016, 07:48 PM
I know what 90 to 100 foot pounds is supposed to feel like. It's not the torque.

It's the "GUNK"

Apply a little heat and the nut behaves as 100ft/lbs should.

Agreed, I think it was AGI (?) video that advocated the 90 ft lbs.

That seems out of line.

The one barrel came off with something around 50 ft lbs feel. The other one was stuck and stuck good.

Both had goop, hotter chamber temps may have weakened the goop (or time, 15 years old roughly). It had it but it was not stuck, nice easy removal with the breaker bar the NSS nut tool.

FW Conch
10-26-2016, 10:05 PM
My BIL is going to Switch Barrel on His Batt action, shouldered barrel, for His 1,000yd rig. He will shoot the 6Dasher barrel in the absence of wind, and go to 6x47 Lapua when the wind kicks up. His very competent Smith says the barrel should be torqued to 100ft/lbs to insure good harmonics. This may be where the 100fp figure is coming from? I have always felt that 40fp's was plenty on My Savages. With My Shooting, I doubt any improvement in harmonics would even be noticeable?

foxx
10-26-2016, 10:24 PM
I don't either, I sternly suspect you don't...

LOL!

You mean from scratch?

upSLIDEdown
10-27-2016, 12:04 AM
LOL!

You mean from scratch?

Hahahahaha

Robinhood
10-27-2016, 06:35 AM
I don't either, I sternly suspect you don't

OK, I will be the one....
Sharpshooter = Sharp Shooter Supply (http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/)

yobuck
10-27-2016, 09:16 AM
My BIL is going to Switch Barrel on His Batt action, shouldered barrel, for His 1,000yd rig. He will shoot the 6Dasher barrel in the absence of wind, and go to 6x47 Lapua when the wind kicks up. His very competent Smith says the barrel should be torqued to 100ft/lbs to insure good harmonics. This may be where the 100fp figure is coming from? I have always felt that 40fp's was plenty on My Savages. With My Shooting, I doubt any improvement in harmonics would even be noticeable?

This gun right here is my 6mm Dasher. But on really windy days I switch to a 6x47.
Does he also have 2 brothers named Leroy? Or maybe the smith does? lol
But that aside, ive watched as what I perceived to be a pretty good smith spin a barrel on by hand, chamber a case, then test fire the gun.
Not to say he didn't torque it later, but he sure didn't while I was watching.
Granted, that was in the old days, and maybe he didn't own a torque wrench.

m12lrs
10-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Just my opinion but it seems to me there is quite a bit of difference between torquing a barrel with a shoulder into a conventional action and tightening a barrel nut on a savage action

I can see a conventional barrel torqued at 100 ft/lbs. Not meant to come off until a gunsmith rebarrels.it. you are also tightening the actual barrel shoulder up against the.face of the reciever.. Not a nut over the barrel that can only pull the threads tight.

FW Conch
10-27-2016, 02:58 PM
yobuck, I don't know the name of the smith, but he is about 40 minutes NW of Harrisburg, and apparently well known. Must be close to Your neck of the woods?

Apparently there are more than a few "Leroys" out there doing the switch barrel thing in the 1,000yd game?

My BIL has only been at it for about 2 years, and is following the lead of the guys that are competive, but He is already doing well. Not surprising, since he is an inherently good shot.

I only get to hear about this stuff through His efforts to impress Me ;-))

But alas, We are wondering away from the subject of barrel thread lubricants :-((

yobuck
10-28-2016, 09:54 AM
yobuck, I don't know the name of the smith, but he is about 40 minutes NW of Harrisburg, and apparently well known. Must be close to Your neck of the woods?

Apparently there are more than a few "Leroys" out there doing the switch barrel thing in the 1,000yd game?

My BIL has only been at it for about 2 years, and is following the lead of the guys that are competive, but He is already doing well. Not surprising, since he is an inherently good shot.

I only get to hear about this stuff through His efforts to impress Me ;-))

But alas, We are wondering away from the subject of barrel thread lubricants :-((

Just joking, but the 2 similar cartridges did catch my attention. lol
The location you mentioned would be Mark Kings area, or possibly Kevin Cram. Both very good smiths.
Tell your BIL to tell the fat old shooter hello for me. One of my old mentors who gave me my first click chart.
Does your BIL hunt?

FW Conch
10-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Basically, Ed does not hunt. He may still hunt woodchucks, but probably not so mutch since He is way into this long range stuff. Some years back, He went to Texas to help his other BIL eradicate some non indigenous species from a game ranch. He took an Audad on a dead run at 425yds, witnessed. He also took a 160 score typical white tail, etc.

The name Mark King sounds familiar.