PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify a model 16

shakudu
10-20-2016, 04:21 AM
Hi, i'm new to this forum and Savage rifles. I'm looking to buy a second hand rifle. As a southpaw it is quite a limited selection.
I stumbled across a model 16. The selles lives a long way from me so i cannot examine the rifle first hand. And he seemed to know next to nothing about it judging from what he has answered to my questions.
He got it in 2009 and that's about it. So any help would be appreciated.

From what i've gathered on the web it looks like a weather warrior? Accutrigger? Does it have the Accustock too?
And i see no magazine, is it an internal one? How does that work? I'm new to rifles too, i primarily hunt with shotguns and a 22lr.

https://images.finncdn.no/dynamic/1600w/2016/10/vertical-5/19/9/846/135/39_1649087517.jpg

https://images.finncdn.no/dynamic/1600w/2016/10/vertical-5/19/9/846/135/39_1341736494.jpg

strut64
10-20-2016, 06:42 AM
The Savage Arms website has a section called Date of manufactur/parts finder. Get the rifles serial number and enter it(include any letter prefix). The system will be a good start on identifying that rifle based on manufacturer input. From the pictures it is not possible to answer your questions.

35Whelenshooter
10-20-2016, 06:59 AM
That appears to be 308 (

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shakudu
10-21-2016, 04:59 AM
Can it be the 2009 FSS-model. Blind mag and no accustock?
Still no reply from the seller regarding the serial number though. I'm about to let this one go sadly. Seller has not given a good impression so far.

J.Baker
10-21-2016, 07:03 PM
The alphabet soup in the model designation really isn't all that important. That basically helps identify certain features (i.e. AK for muzzle brake), but Savage has been getting away from that in recent years.

Most Model 16's are going to be priced about the same as they are all pretty much the same. Stainless barreled action w/ sporter barrel, synthetic stock, and depending on model may or may not have DBM or muzzle brake. This one is clearly a top bolt release so I'm going to say no on the AccuStock (IIRC all Accustocks are bottom bolt release). As such I would say it was probably a 16FLSS, but since the muzzle has been threaded (not a factory option) it could have been a 16FSAK with brake to start and the brake was cut off when it was threaded.

Zero333
10-24-2016, 02:31 AM
The alphabet soup in the model designation really isn't all that important. That basically helps identify certain features (i.e. AK for muzzle brake), but Savage has been getting away from that in recent years.

Most Model 16's are going to be priced about the same as they are all pretty much the same. Stainless barreled action w/ sporter barrel, synthetic stock, and depending on model may or may not have DBM or muzzle brake. This one is clearly a top bolt release so I'm going to say no on the AccuStock (IIRC all Accustocks are bottom bolt release). As such I would say it was probably a 16FLSS, but since the muzzle has been threaded (not a factory option) it could have been a 16FSAK with brake to start and the brake was cut off when it was threaded.

Wasn't the original FCP-SR (digicamo) a top bolt release with accustock ? :dog: