PDA

View Full Version : 110E rebuild... HELP

tommy1984
10-17-2016, 11:47 AM
Hey guys Im new here, and looking for advise on doing a complete rebuild.

I was going to purchase a Win model 70 extreme weather SS in 300 WSM but every one is back ordered on them, So I got to thinking
why not just do a rebuild on my old savage model 110E 300 win mag that my father bought me (used) years ago.

Now me and this gun has went round and round trying to get bases to stay on it, Ive tried several different bases and even going as far as
to loc tight the base screws in but they would back out EVERY time I went to sight in the rifle and leave me with a floppy scope, this last
time it actually pulled the threads out of the barrel on the first shot, So I threw the gun in the back of the safe and swore Id never shoot
it again.

Now I've decided that since the win model 70 Im eyeing is on back order I might just do a complete rebuild on this model 110E, I want to
make it a stainless steal "extreme weather" type gun just like the winchester, I plan on doing a nice fluted barrel and the works, thing is I
have NO ideal where to start, where to get these parts, what in all I will need to replace or anything, Im 100% new to this..

Any advise or direction is greatly appreciated.

Thomas

wbm
10-17-2016, 12:05 PM
it actually pulled the threads out of the barrel on the first shot,

Definitely would get this problem solved before doing anything else.

WeldNFool
10-17-2016, 01:48 PM
I'm in the middle of doing a build myself so everything as far as parts people and such is fresh in my mind. I can't help you on the loose screws, lol, but from a mechanics standpoint I'd have to agree with wbm in saying you need to figure out what's going on there first. Again, from the mechanic side of things I'd check the threads on the action maybe. Perhaps they were cut wrong? Hole to big when it was threaded so the "meat" is not enough to actually hold the action to the stock. Just some things I would look for. If possible rethread somehow? My action experience is null but if I was working on a car part or something here in the shop I'd consider rethreading. Not sure that would be possible on an action however....or wherever the screws actually go. Sorry, just throwing ideas out there. If they are always working loose and you tighten them properly then I'd suspect the threads or screws(screws are cheaper).

Parts, Northland Shooting Supply, Sharp Shooter Supply, Brownells, and others. Stocks, Boyds, H&S, McMillan, Manners, Stockade Gun Stocks, plus many others. Barrels, Shilen, Krieger, McGowen, plus others for "factory" barrels or you can get some of these from places like, Northland. A friendly tip, if you're buying a barrel make sure you search around really good and compare prices, ;-) I discovered a little money saver but still can get the same one I want.

Anyhow, good luck.

mousemotors
10-17-2016, 05:14 PM
I had a 110E once and had a bugger of a time with the base. Mine had a round front and a flat back for the base. Is this like yours? A good base was hard to find and not very many manufactures made it.

wbm
10-17-2016, 07:09 PM
EGW and Weaver both make one piece bases for that model Savage. EGW is by far the better of the two.