PDA

View Full Version : Hand Load? and new glass

homebrewer21625
10-15-2016, 10:26 PM
i have and axis 22-250 w/boyds prairie hunter stock. using harnady 50gr vmax ammo at 100 yds i put 3 shots touching each other. i dont reload but was interestend in finding someone to work with me developing some nice loads using fire formed brass. is it worth my time to find someone to help me work some handloads or should i just use the factory ammo? my next investment is better glass. not over the top but better than the bushnell 3x9-40 it came with. was thinking a nikon buckmaster2 4x12-40. mainly caused the are inexpensive. any thoughts on that scope would be appreciated as well. thanks in advance

cowtownup
10-16-2016, 10:37 AM
If you can put 3 shots touching with factory ammo, most definitely shoot factory ammo... Reloading is just another hobby in addition to shooting and believe me when I say it consumes just as much if not MORE time than shooting. Another side note is that in today's "land of litigation" it could be difficult to find someone willing to make handloads for you. I certainly wouldn't for liability reasons.. Its sad to say, but its true....

glockr
10-16-2016, 11:11 AM
I think reloading is a good economic decision. There is a setup cost, but after that (depending on cartridge) there can be a pretty big savings per round over factory ammo. Another thing to consider is that one of the presidential candidates has proposed ammo taxes and limits on the amount of ammo we should be "allowed" to buy. Some of their political allies go even further, proposing background checks to buy ammo. So far, no one is targeting reloading components, best get them while you can.

zr600
10-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Do you have any friends or family that reload of so just buy the components needed and have them show you how to do it. Or in eat the money to do it yourself. I just bought the stuff myself because it was easier my cousin and hunting buddies all reload and they were willing to help me develop a load but never did just because of family time and stuff. It's easier if I have the stuff at home can do it after kids go to bed or school. But I think it's worth it. For my 22-250 I had it figured I could make 60 rounds for the cost of one box of hornady 55g vmax factory ammo.

pisgah
10-18-2016, 11:41 AM
If your desire is more accuracy -- well, sounds like you've already got a factory-loaded accuracy load. If your desire is saving money -- you won't, until you fire many thousands of rounds. The cost of equipment, components, manuals, not to mention the time involved, is simply not worth the rounds-per-year a typical shooter will expend. The one time when reloading makes economic sense for someone who is not a high-volume shooter is when you have a gun that needs to be fed an obsolete cartridge and roll-yer-own is the only way you're going to get ammo. And having someone else do it for you can be very risky unless you know for a certain fact that they know what they're doing. Your Cousin Bubba, as big an "expert" as he may claim to be, as much experience as he may have, may just be a complete moron, and if you are not already fully-schooled in reloading you may not know enough to realize it.