PDA

View Full Version : which Savage rifle ?

rebs
10-15-2016, 03:10 PM
Here is my situation, I want to buy a Savage rifle bolt action in 223/5.56 cal. I want it to be a tack driver right out of the box. I don't want to have to but a new stock or other after market parts. I do reload my cartridges.
Which Savage rifle would fill my wants ?

foxx
10-15-2016, 03:25 PM
if 1 shot accuracy out to 300yards is all you want, any of them are as good as the next.

If you want to be able to shoot 5 shot strings, I would recommend any Varmint contour or heavy barrel model.

If you want longer range capability, you may want longer bullets, which translates into faster twist than factory barrels...

All the other options for trigger, stock, etc. are personal choice, weight, comfort and cost considerations.

The Coach
10-15-2016, 03:44 PM
I have Model 12FCV. First thing I did was order a new stock.
I would suggest the 12 BTCSS, the 12 BVSS or either of the 25 Lightweight Varminter's.

DrThunder88
10-15-2016, 05:33 PM
If the stars align and you get a Cabelas sale and Savage rebate on the 12FV, that's probably your best bet. Even if you have to pay full price, it's not bad!

Rosco
10-15-2016, 05:56 PM
What Dr. Thunder said...

foxx
10-15-2016, 06:52 PM
^^^ right. Best value, but they all shoot. One model is not considered most accurate.

sharpshooter
10-15-2016, 09:01 PM
If you don't want to do any upgrades, don't start at the bottom. I'd suggest a model 12 VLP.

glockr
10-16-2016, 01:11 AM
You could get a model 11 Trophy Predator Hunter, around $510 for Snow Camo or $540 in Mossy Oak Brush. It has a heavy barrel, Accutrigger, and the included scope isn't really that bad. Stock isn't quite as stiff as an Accustock but it's useable and not wet-noodle flexible like the plastic that comes on an Axis.

The Varmint (12 series) are really nice, but also about $330 more and they don't come with a scope. The Trophy Predator Hunter is usable out of the box for what you want IMO.

big honkin jeep
10-16-2016, 08:53 PM
Sorta depends what you want,
Big long and heavy with a long heavy barrel to generate maximum velocity a 26" barreled model 12 is fantastic.
Shorter lighter and easily portable with a 20" heavy barrel the model 10PC (discontinued but available) or one of the other older model 10 law enforcement rifles is a good choice.
a little longer barrel but lighter still and suitable for carrying for long days in the field and in my experience just as accurate as the others would be one of the many hunting rifles offered in .223. personally I like the stainless model 16s

In my opinion, I'd avoid the "Axis" rifles (and after owning 2, I do)
And if you're gonna use a bi pod, then pick a rifle with the accustock or a laminate.
Another thing to consider, the package guns (with scopes) generally wont come with an accustock and will probably also have plastic instead of metal parts on the mags and mag wells.
As far as accuracy you wont go wrong with any of them. Most all modern bolt action rifles are amazingly accurate.

FiveInADime
10-21-2016, 10:06 PM
You could get a model 11 Trophy Predator Hunter, around $510 for Snow Camo or $540 in Mossy Oak Brush. It has a heavy barrel, Accutrigger, and the included scope isn't really that bad. Stock isn't quite as stiff as an Accustock but it's useable and not wet-noodle flexible like the plastic that comes on an Axis.

The Varmint (12 series) are really nice, but also about $330 more and they don't come with a scope. The Trophy Predator Hunter is usable out of the box for what you want IMO.
This ^

Not only will it be a good target/plinker but it's a great varmint/predator solution, as well. With the Nikon it comes with it's a nice coyote rifle. I traded the Nikon for 500 rounds of brass case plinking ammo. I put a Hubble-esque Viper PST 6-24 on mine for fun/prairie dogs.

My 11TPH's stock is free-floated about 1/16" all around the barrel. It shoots FGMM 69gr SMK, ADI Outback 69gr SMK, and my 68gr BTHP handloads with Varget or H4895 into tiny clusters. It's a wonderful rig.

Also, it has the varmint trigger so it adjusts down to ~1.5lbs.

Texas10
10-25-2016, 10:03 AM
I think your choice is dependent upon what distance you want to use your "tac driver". If you're limited to 100 yd targets, ANY model 10, 11, 12 in 223 is going to be very accurate. And if cost is a factor, the 12FV with a no hassle, bolt it on laminate stock, scope and mounts will cost less than a grand ready to shoot. My son's is able to produce 5 shot groups in the high ones at 100 yds.

If you truly want a turn key tac driver, you'll probably want the 12BVSS. Mine was shooting under 1/3 moa right out of the box. But it's a 9 twist, so the heaviest bullet it'll shoot is the 77 gr Nosler CC or 77 SMK.

I've shot mine out to 750 yds with the 69 grain SMK and it would bang steel consistently at that range.

BigBabyMoses06
10-25-2016, 11:29 AM
The big question is, anyone think Cabelas will be having a savage sale like last year?

DrThunder88
10-26-2016, 08:08 PM
They might. Christmas is a-comin'!

They have (or recently had) a Howa 1500 mini action rifle on sale for $350. I picked one up but haven't gotten it to the range yet. Overall it seems like a good piece of kit. The trigger is a bit sloppy with overtravel, but is light and tight before the break. It could be a contender for a value priced 223 if it proves to be a performer.