PDA

View Full Version : Back to the range. New question.

tufrthnails
10-14-2016, 08:38 PM
For you accustock owners. Have you guys had problems shooting off bipod. I got out today to shoot a box and a half through the 6.5 Creedmoor. Shooting hornaday 129g today. Every group but one ( I pulled a round). Is shooting a fence post. I got less then a 1/4" of horizontal deviation, but 1.5" - 2" of vertical deviation. I'm wondering it the stock is stiff enough to preload the bipod. I'm gonna try to shoot a box tomorrow off bags. I was more focused on working a new load for my .270 tomorrow I'm just taking the Creedmoor if I can sneak out. The barrel is free floated pretty generously so I'm doubting that is the prob.

tallwalker
10-14-2016, 10:49 PM
Had the same problem at first with a 111 in 30-06 and Harris bipod. Just thought it was me for a while then started really thinking about it. Turned out the rear action screw was way off on torque value. Loosened both then torqued to recommended spec and it was a whole new rifle.

tufrthnails
10-15-2016, 09:45 AM
Thanks I will try that. If I can get the vertical deviation squared away this thing could be a tack driver if the horizontal deviation is any good indicator!

Zero333
10-22-2016, 09:59 PM
The accustocks I have are very rigid on the forend. How could thick aluminum flex ? non-accustocks are a different matter.

tallwalker said it. You need to tune the action srews.

tufrthnails
10-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Thanks havn't gotten back out to the range yet. I expect it will improve the front screw had loosened up since I received it and checked them. quick question. I'm planning on taking my torque wrench with me if I get good results and it's not super snugged down yet do you guys blue lock tight it a whatever torque you get the good results at?

Texas10
10-31-2016, 11:50 PM
I bring the torque wrench with me a re-torque the action screws before shooting....every time.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

Zero333
11-25-2016, 07:06 AM
Very late response, but for anyone else reading this in the future... I have best results with 40 to 45 in-lbs. Do each screw a little at a time back and forth, till I get to 40 or 45 in-lbs.

The non-accustocks tupperware Savage stocks I prefer around 40in-lbs. 35in-lbs is ok for light recoiling cartridges, but 35in-lbs for a 300winmag mod 111 non-accustock was not enough to keep the receiver screws from loosening after a hundred rounds. So I do 40 to 45 in-lbs for non-accustock magnums.