PDA

View Full Version : Embedding original Axis stock

1winnen
10-14-2016, 07:18 AM
I tried looking through all the treads and couldn't find any postings so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Also has anyone done this and has it improved accuracy? Thanks

Robinhood
10-14-2016, 05:04 PM
You might try "Bedding" as a search term.

calstar
10-16-2016, 12:32 PM
I've searched before with only limited success here or on the net. must be a reason not many are bedding the factory axis stock. Here is a link to the one post on this forum: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?11504-Glass-bedding-an-Axis-Edge&highlight=axis+glass+bedding This post has limited info and no pics(tube is full of bedding vids but I found only one on the axis).I'd like to hear from anyone(if they've bedded theirs) on this forum regarding bedding the oem axis stock.

thanks, Brian

foxx
10-16-2016, 04:31 PM
no point in bedding it.

Bedding is intended to correct issues of swelling and retracting of wood stocks. (primarily). The factory stock fits the action nicely.

The issue with Axis stocks is more in the flex and cheap hollow feel and small grip, etc. Bedding does not address any of that. There are some tricks to stiffening them throught the whole stock by filling with some kind of plaster-like stuff guys are using.

calstar
10-16-2016, 05:36 PM
no point in bedding it.

Well.......thats one opinion. There are those(myself included) that feel even a quality synthetic stock(worlds apart from the axis oem) can be improved with bedding. Its all about improving action stability to maximize performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQlYCTw78Y

Brian

foxx
10-16-2016, 07:44 PM
^^^Maybe a quality synthetic stock can be improved with bedding. I don't believe an Axis factory stock can be improved with bedding. There are things about it I don't like, (not much I do like about it), but it is not improved with bedding. I have played with and rebarrelled literally 100's of them in the past couple years. None of them were hurting for bedding. THey all fit the action well and pillars were fine. Until a good shooter can show me they shot the factory stock for at least 500 rounds before they decided to bed it and then, afterwards found improvement, I won't believe it does any good or serves any worthwhile purpose.

Does that mean you should not do it? No. If you want to try your hand at it and do for practice, go ahead. It won't hurt anything. If you think it's gonna improve the stock, you're kidding yourself.

calstar
10-16-2016, 08:54 PM
^^^ Until a good shooter can show me they shot the factory stock for at least 500 rounds before they decided to bed it and then, afterwards found improvement, I won't believe it does any good or serves any worthwhile purpose.

Good point, that would be a good test for any improvement to a rifle (250 rounds would probably be adequate:thumb:)

Brian

A.McPherson
10-18-2016, 09:26 AM
I filled my factory stock with epoxy, and bedded it. I found a large improvement in rigidity, consistency and felt recoil. Of course during that same time period I also was developing a hand loaded bullet for it too, so I'm sure that helped more than the bedding. The thing that helped the accuracy the most was putting the suppressor on it! It went from a just under 1 moa to 1/4 moa!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk