PDA

View Full Version : 111 Trophy Hunter XP stock - Warped/not straight

Mossyoakglock
10-13-2016, 10:36 PM
I am looking at a 111 Trophy Hunter XP in .308. I have been looking around and went to look at them again today. I noticed that the stock is not straight and looks warped. The right side has a much larger gap vs the left and the left side of the barrel is pretty much touching the stock. The first one I looked at was a Dick's. I went to Academy and looked at a .308 they had in stock and it was the exact same way. They had a .270 as well that was the same way

Were these defective or are all of them like this and it's a design flaw? I found it odd that three rifles at two different stores were the same way. Is this something that can easily be fixed by sanding down the stock?

I have been a long-time Remington guy and but really want to try a Savage since I've been hearing good things about them lately.

foxx
10-13-2016, 11:09 PM
It's a Savage thing.

Mossyoakglock
10-13-2016, 11:33 PM
Is it something that can be tweaked by loosing screws and "re-aligning" the stock?

foxx
10-13-2016, 11:50 PM
Sometimes, but that's just a common issue. I have never seen or heard it affect accuracy, as long as it's still free floated.

RustyShackle
10-14-2016, 09:31 AM
unfortunately its a pretty common thing with savages. You could always ask that they dig one out of the back and try to find one that is better. Even my accustock is 'off' a little, obviously the aluminum bedding block is off a couple degrees, but it is still free floated, and I think I can live with it.

You could also sand down/reshape the bbl channel if you like. Also there might be enough play if you loosen the stock and then shift the forearm over. I would suggest bedding the recoil lug if you're going this route. A few rounds of tape around the bbl will hold it centered in the bbl channel.

FiveInADime
10-14-2016, 11:52 AM
I am looking at a 111 Trophy Hunter XP in .308. I have been looking around and went to look at them again today. I noticed that the stock is not straight and looks warped. The right side has a much larger gap vs the left and the left side of the barrel is pretty much touching the stock. The first one I looked at was a Dick's. I went to Academy and looked at a .308 they had in stock and it was the exact same way. They had a .270 as well that was the same way

Were these defective or are all of them like this and it's a design flaw? I found it odd that three rifles at two different stores were the same way. Is this something that can easily be fixed by sanding down the stock?

I have been a long-time Remington guy and but really want to try a Savage since I've been hearing good things about them lately.
I don't know what exactly you're looking for but the 11 Trophy Predator Hunter XP comes in .243Win and 6.5mm Creedmoor and their stocks are not very stiff but the barrel channels are relieved FAR, FAR more than the standard 11/111 stocks.

My .223 has enough free-floating area that I can put considerable pressure on the stock without the barrel touching the stock. I think they go for right about $500 on sale.

Mossyoakglock
10-14-2016, 02:03 PM
I'm going to look around and see if I can find one with a straight stock. The only place I haven't looked is Gander Mountain but they are about $80 more than Academy and Dick's but I think they pricematch so that shouldn't be a problem if they have a straight one.

I looked at the 11 Trophy Hunter but it doesn't come in a .308. Although I did consider the 6.5 but since this will be a hunting rifle and the ammo is harder to come by here, I'm leaning towards the .308. I don't need a .223 since I have an AR already.