PDA

View Full Version : Powder Dispensers

Appleseed
10-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Going to manually charge brass, would like a powder dispenser that works screwed into one station of the T-7 Redding press. Pistol/Rifle. Using a bench mount Lee with the single stage press.

Also, I am guessing any powder listed for .223 will work for .221 fireball?

Appleseed
10-14-2016, 10:09 AM
A few shooters and I are going to make a bulk powder order this week. Have 8lbs of CFE 223, hope that will work for the .221 fireball as well in the .223. Been using H 322 and IMR 4198.

Texas Solo
10-14-2016, 06:58 PM
Going to manually charge brass, would like a powder dispenser that works screwed into one station of the T-7 Redding press. Pistol/Rifle. Using a bench mount Lee with the single stage press.

Also, I am guessing any powder listed for .223 will work for .221 fireball?

The IMR4198 is an extruded powder, not flake or ball. It won't meter well enough to use as you describe. I use Varget and have to weigh/trickle every charge, which you would have to do to get consistent charges with the 4198. How you gonna do that with the powder dispenser mounted in the T7 ??
You should be GTG with the CFE in the .223
Hodgdon does not list the CFE as a viable powder for use in the .221 Fireball. ?????????

sharpshooter
10-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Reloder 7 is the best powder for a Fireball, and it cuts more consistant than any other powder I have ever used.. A Redding powder measure will screw into a Redding T7 turret. (almost like it was intended that way....)

darkker
10-15-2016, 08:06 AM
The IMR4198 is an extruded powder, not flake or ball. It won't meter well enough to use as you describe. I use Varget and have to weigh/trickle every charge, which you would have to do to get consistent charges with the 4198. How you gonna do that with the powder dispenser mounted in the T7 ??
You should be GTG with the CFE in the .223
Hodgdon does not list the CFE as a viable powder for use in the .221 Fireball. ?????????

Extruded powders are built with volume in mind, getting the weight perfect doesn't matter. Trickling is only needed if you want a weight, but decided to use a volume device. Otherwise cutting kernels doesn't change anything.

Also, don't take Hodgdon as any form of loading expert, they are a surplus reseller. They do very little of their own testing anyway. If you want to know about CFE in something, look to Hornady info, or call them. Notice how they are about the only ones listing Superformance in the Creed, and Hodgdon would tell you that won't work? Dave Emary (Hornady ballistician) was a powder designer for General Dynamics. He built those powders, he knows what they do, even if the bozos selling it don't.

Appleseed
10-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Redding press and dispenser, wise choice. Am I reading description correctly, the #3 (not 3BR) will measure for both pistol and rifle? Are two powder chambers included?

Had a bit of 322 and 4198 left over and will replace it with another powder or two. Need to check load notes, may have been using the latter in the .20 vartarg.