PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun J Stevens 520 12 gauge shotgun

larini68LT
10-11-2016, 12:15 PM
I have a J. Stevens 520 12 gauge I need help with. The serial number is 95---A.
1) On the shell stop, does it need to pivot freely with little or no play? The one in my receiver seems to flop around. Can the screw bushing/nut be adjusted to eliminate the flop?
2) The lifter spring now is a single leaf which seems too weak to push the lifter up. Do I need a double leaf?
Thank you!

Maxrad
10-14-2016, 12:24 AM
Hi,
Just adjust the screw for the shell stop (the screw nearest the barrel) to just snug and that should get rid of the slop. I have built two 520s and needed to tighten both all the way in. The bushing/nut screw should definitely be tightened-in or the bushing may drift out and lock the action. The problem is you need a special tool or fabricate something to hold the bushing in as you tighten the screw from the outside.
As far as your lifter spring goes, it depends on the year. Since one of my double-hump 520s is a 959--A model (1925 1/2 - 1928), like yours, it should use the spring that looks like a wishbone, or roughly a "V"-shape. If yours is different, check with Numrich Gun Parts Corp for a replacement spring.
Hope this helps.