PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on a rebarrel project.

59f100292
10-10-2016, 03:28 PM
I'm in the middle of my first Savage rebarrel project, and spoke with Dave Manson about his tools to hand-true an action. He informed my that the process of truing the action threads will result in larger diameter threads. My question is, do any of the manufactures listed here, http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?49452-Current-list-of-all-Savage-prefit-barrel-suppliers , offer prefit barrels with this larger thread?

The purpose of starting a savage project was to be able to do everything my self. In the end I'm not sure it makes sense to put a high-end shilen or similar barrel on an action that has not been trued. I also don't want to true it myself, just to send it to a gunsmith and have him set up a barrel with the new larger thread dimensions.

Any advice? Is there a way to produce a trued-rebarreled action without going to a gunsmith?

Thanks

Shooter0302
10-10-2016, 04:52 PM
1. check Northland shooters supply and see if you can contact all the record holders they talk about shooting great scores using their barrels & Equip. See if these record holders have had their actions trued ??
2. Keep in mind that once you have your action trued you will loose the ability for using per chambered barrels UNLESS you have your "smith" true the action and cut target action {Lg} threads
in your action .

m12lrs
10-10-2016, 06:21 PM
1. check Northland shooters supply and see if you can contact all the record holders they talk about shooting great scores using their barrels & Equip. See if these record holders have had their actions trued ??
2. Keep in mind that once you have your action trued you will loose the ability for using per chambered barrels UNLESS you have your "smith" true the action and cut target action {Lg} threads
in your action .

Actually Fred times and.trues Savage actions without cutting new barrel threads. Sharp Shooters Supply.

But there are plenty of great shooting savages out there that have never been trued

Is it needed? Opinions Vary

59f100292
10-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Actually Fred times and.trues Savage actions without cutting new barrel threads. Sharp Shooters Supply.

But there are plenty of great shooting savages out there that have never been trued

Is it needed? Opinions Vary

Are you suggesting not touching the threads but hitting everything else? I believe that means squaring receiver face and bolt face, and just letting the threads be?

Robinhood
10-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Are you suggesting not touching the threads but hitting everything else? I believe that means squaring receiver face and bolt face, and just letting the threads be?

This is definitely the next best option to a complete trueing job. PT&G has a pilot tap and a truing mandrel that hits the face of the lug abutments and the action face. Then you true the threads with either the factory size or ten over. I think touching it with the standard thread with the pilot would be better than nothing. This is an expensive option.

59f100292
10-10-2016, 09:33 PM
This is definitely the next best option to a complete trueing job. PT&G has a pilot tap and a truing mandrel that hits the face of the lug abutments and the action face. Then you true the threads with either the factory size or ten over. I think touching it with the standard thread with the pilot would be better than nothing. This is an expensive option.

Are the PTG tools "hand tools" like the Manson kit? I don't have a lathe or mill

sharpshooter
10-11-2016, 07:52 PM
Never treat a Savage like a Remington.....the technology does not interchange.

darkker
10-11-2016, 08:16 PM
Never treat a Savage like a Remington.....the technology does not interchange.

I agree.
If you have no... "Fudge" then you have to have everything square to make the world harmonious. But at what cost? IF you are a professional shooter, and getting money from and for, then fine and dandy, spend not your money to be able to hock your masters products. If you are a hillbilly looking to be able to shoot accurately, work on yourself first.

Savages have floating bolt heads, negating a bunch of the "truing" arguments surrounding another brand. The barrel nut isn't there for 0.000001 accuracy to keep the cosmos in balance; it's a jam nut to keep the barrel from spinning, nothing more.
Anyone here buy a new car and take it to the shop to have "precesion lug nuts" turned on a lathe???

59f100292
10-11-2016, 09:07 PM
it seems as though the implication is do nothing, or send it to a smith to be done 100%. Maybe the answer is to get a lug and nut from NSS when installing the barrel, and live with what the factory gave me?

foxx
10-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Savage does not require Truing to be competitvely accurate. In fact, truing does not really help. I would sugest you simply get the best quality prefit barrel for Savage and install it with a trued recoil lug and MAYBE a trued barrel nut. (Nut not necessary). Replace trigger with Rifle Basix Sav-2 or Sharp Shooter Supply Competition Trigger. If it doesn't shoot as well as you hoped, bed the action. (depending upon the stock, of course). THen, if you want a sweeter, smoother, lighter bolt lift, have Fred at SharpShooter Supply do a time and true job.

If it still won't shoot to your satisfaction, sell it, 'cuz it never will.

59f100292
10-11-2016, 09:59 PM
The gun is going into a bobby hart lrt, with out the aluminum block. It will be bedded from the start. I will be using the pillars provided with the stock, unless someone advises otherwise (they don't seem that substantial). I'm planning on a 6.5x47L barrel but that decision has changed a few times already.

I understand the mind set of working on my own shooting skills first etc, but the purpose of this rifle is not as an intro to shooting, it is an intro to gunsmithing more than anything.

With th the proper (borrowed) equipment I have shot a few 5 shot groups in the 1's, and many in the 2's. I don't expect this gun to shoot like those br rifles, but I am trying to do as much accurizing gunsmith work as I can do on my own, as a learning experience. I enjoy doing things mechanical, and dislike paying someone else to do what I imagine I can do with a little practice and research.
With all that being said, if a new lug and nut will get me as much accuracy gain as a partial (not hitting the threads to enable continued use of prefit barrels) Truing job with Manson tools; then I will scrap the idea of savages being 100% home gunsmithable, and will accept the fact that I have to pay gunsmiths to true and chamber rifles for me.

Hope that's not too long winded.

foxx
10-11-2016, 11:21 PM
I think you are still missing a big point here... Savage are VERY home gunsmithable. However, there is nothing ANYONE can do to make it more accurate than what was suggested. It's not high skilled stuff. SSS's T&T job will not improve accuracy, but it makes it more of a pleasure to shoot.

clintsrv
10-12-2016, 02:18 AM
"and dislike paying someone else to do what I imagine I can do with a little practice and research."

This was me in my early 20's. It's an excellent way to learn how to do stuff.

I think however you're over thinking your Savage project.
What makes Savages very much "home gunsmthable" is because you don't have to do the machine work to be accurate.
I would buy all the parts I wanted and assemble it and shoot it. Then see what you can do from there to make it better.
Trigger time will make any rifle more accurate.

59f100292
10-12-2016, 05:49 AM
I suppose that's the direction I'll go then. Stainless lug and nut from NSS and run from there.

Not it to ruffle any feathers, but I've got no intention with dealing with SSS. Im sure they do fine work, but every thread I've ever seen about them online includes atleast one person who has had a horrible experience with them. Just dosn't seem like a company worth doing business with.