PDA

View Full Version : Ballistics Calculator

Pages : [1] 2 3

Idaho
10-09-2016, 10:11 PM
I've been trying to find a ballistics calculator that will give me a bullet drop chart with MOA adjustments that match my observations from my handloads with no luck. Some close but no cookie. Close on one end or the other but not both. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

Thanks,

243LPR
10-09-2016, 10:24 PM
Tried Hornady,Nikon and JBM?

Idaho
10-10-2016, 07:50 AM
I've tried Hornady, the one on Long Range Hunting, PointBlank Ballistics, Vortex Long Range Ballistics Calculator, and just tried JBM.

Robinhood
10-10-2016, 08:57 AM
You may need to tweak your velocity or bc to get the numbers your after. Air density could be an issue.

Mozella
10-10-2016, 11:25 AM
How close to you expect it to get you? I shoot F class so my concern is making a scope adjustment from my 100 yd test data to a 600 yard match, realizing that I just need to get on paper to start with since we get several sighters to zero in on the X. However, without getting too involved with entering temperatures or pressures (which I could do if necessary) I nearly always put the first round within 2 MOA (often half that) with a cold bore shot using a generic fouling round. That may not be good enough for situation where you need an accurate hit from the first round, but by entering temperature and altitude and using a round made to my normal competition ammo standards along with known MV data I could be more accurate.

What are you expecting?

yobuck
10-10-2016, 12:35 PM
You may need to tweak your velocity or bc to get the numbers your after. Air density could be an issue.

This will be pretty much the case regardless of the program you use. I use JBM but don't think it better or worse than others.
Depends on the individual, and the type of shooting or competition, as to the importance of precise data and first round hits.
It may come as a surprise to some, but at least whitetail deer don't always just run off when a bullet hits very close to them.
To the contrary, ive often watched them sniff the ground where the bullet hit.
Learning to shoot fast and accurately will get better results than worrying about precise data.

Idaho
10-10-2016, 06:24 PM
How close to you expect it to get you? I shoot F class so my concern is making a scope adjustment from my 100 yd test data to a 600 yard match, realizing that I just need to get on paper to start with since we get several sighters to zero in on the X. However, without getting too involved with entering temperatures or pressures (which I could do if necessary) I nearly always put the first round within 2 MOA (often half that) with a cold bore shot using a generic fouling round. That may not be good enough for situation where you need an accurate hit from the first round, but by entering temperature and altitude and using a round made to my normal competition ammo standards along with known MV data I could be more accurate.

What are you expecting?

Maybe that is the part that I'm missing, temp - altitude - air pressure. The numbers are close. I suppose I will just need to print off a couple of charts and then start keeping close notes as to field observations to get corrected data. I just hunt rock chucks, rabbits and coyotes, small targets, and I don't like to miss.

Thanks, this has been helpful.

jim_k
10-11-2016, 08:31 AM
Strelok Pro has it, for about $10 to Igor Borisov. The guy is fabulous about updates, and adds new info about every week, to tweak the program.

LoneWolf
10-11-2016, 10:08 AM
My preferred app is "Shooter", but as already stated with any app you need to true ballistics as well as your weather data. Using an accurate Denisty Altitude will show you how your data at distances varies a little bit as the weather changes. I think it's more important on the East Coast as the humidity and pressure fluctuates a lot more than the dry and arid temps out west. Based on my recent experience. If you have a good range that you can true your data with 5-6 distances from 600yds out to 1000yds it always made my adjustments much more accurate in the calculator.

yobuck
10-11-2016, 03:24 PM
My preferred app is "Shooter", but as already stated with any app you need to true ballistics as well as your weather data. Using an accurate Denisty Altitude will show you how your data at distances varies a little bit as the weather changes. I think it's more important on the East Coast as the humidity and pressure fluctuates a lot more than the dry and arid temps out west. Based on my recent experience. If you have a good range that you can true your data with 5-6 distances from 600yds out to 1000yds it always made my adjustments much more accurate in the calculator.

This is all true and very good advise.
However, (experts) have been writing books on wind reading for how long now? Which of coarse is another big factor, probably even the biggest.
And still we have (experts) writing about reading the wind.
What works well for those who can, is sighter shots. And yes, even when hunting, sighter shots can and should if possible be taken.
Nothing works better than a sighter shot to asertain current information. Laugh all you want, but a first shot miss is also a sighter shot if you take advantage of it.
Nobody has ever knocked on our door and asked if the deer hanging at our camp were 1 shot kills, and yes, the gravey tastes the same.
It's perfectly acceptable to stuff the magazine full on our old 99s before we head to our favorite stump someplace.
But lord help us if we don't make a first round DRT kill way over there. Its another case of mind over matter.

Idaho
10-11-2016, 08:00 PM
Dang, I thought I had it figured out and quickly ran more numbers after work. My velocity was off (according to my chrono) by 100fps. and while I'm sighted in for 100 yards my bullets hit a little bit high and I've not taken that into account in the calculator. When that info in, the numbers don't improve. In fact, they seem to get worse. I'm just missing something but will figure it out eventually.
Thanks again.

Scott Evans
10-11-2016, 11:22 PM
Measure your scope distance above the bore accurately before using a bal calc.

upSLIDEdown
10-12-2016, 02:09 AM
Lonewolf's post is spot on. These apps are only as good as the info that's input. Not sure what Chrono you're using for velocity, but the only thing I really trust anymore is a magnetospeed or a Labradar. Making darn sure you have a solid zero is also very important. Using one of Litz's BCs helps too, as they're usually slightly different than the manufacturer depending on what bullet you're using. Measuring your scope height, accurate atmospherics, all of these things play a huge roll, as well as ensuring you have an accurate target distance. Once you get it trued up though, it's great. I can take a few readings from my kestrel, a range from my Sig Kilo, and be confident that my elevation will put me on target, every time. The rest is just wind. I use Shooter as well. And I've been playing with Trasol a little bit off and on. Shooter is what I use when it matters though.

LoneWolf
10-12-2016, 05:18 AM
Measure your scope distance above the bore accurately before using a bal calc.

This is also an important factor in the equation. Probably the one most often overlooked!

Yobuck I'm done responding to your posts concerning Long Range hunting on this topic. Just trying to help the OP get his data together and not argue a concept that doesn't apply to the question asked.... I'm sure you'll respond with an argument, but I'm not even going to read your next post.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yobuck
10-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Dang, I thought I had it figured out and quickly ran more numbers after work. My velocity was off (according to my chrono) by 100fps. and while I'm sighted in for 100 yards my bullets hit a little bit high and I've not taken that into account in the calculator. When that info in, the numbers don't improve. In fact, they seem to get worse. I'm just missing something but will figure it out eventually.
Thanks again.

Do as Lonewolf suggested.
You could even omit the chrony, guess the velocity for a chart, and just go shoot at some rocks someplace.
If it takes 30 clicks to hit the 500 rock, that's what it is, at least today at this very moment.
Tomorrow could be 28 or 32, and who cares, and what good would it do anyway.
Remember this, as recently as 20 years ago very few people even had chronys.
For sure none had any computer programs, and Brian Litz had yet to inform anybody.
It aint hard, almost anybody can do it. But you gotta go do it, and not just read about it.
My first (click chart) as they are still called where I am, was given to me by a friend by name of Frank Weber.
Frank was even then a top competitor at Williamsport, then shooting a 6.5x300 Weatherby, and this was in 1973.
I didn't have a 6.5x300 Weatherby, but had a 7x300 Weatherby. He said here is a copy of my chart which will get you real close.
Just tune it up as you go and you will be fine. You know what? the chart was closer than my ability to see much difference.
Velocities were similar, BCs were similar, but there was 23 grains difference in bullet weights. Yet using the same chart you could at least get on paper at 1000 yds.
And shooting is shooting Lonewolf, wether it be at a target or an animal.

LoneWolf
10-12-2016, 11:37 AM
yobuck, pm's are full...

yobuck
10-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Lonewolf's post is spot on. These apps are only as good as the info that's input. Not sure what Chrono you're using for velocity, but the only thing I really trust anymore is a magnetospeed or a Labradar. Making darn sure you have a solid zero is also very important. Using one of Litz's BCs helps too, as they're usually slightly different than the manufacturer depending on what bullet you're using. Measuring your scope height, accurate atmospherics, all of these things play a huge roll, as well as ensuring you have an accurate target distance. Once you get it trued up though, it's great. I can take a few readings from my kestrel, a range from my Sig Kilo, and be confident that my elevation will put me on target, every time. The rest is just wind. I use Shooter as well. And I've been playing with Trasol a little bit off and on. Shooter is what I use when it matters though.

The true BC is determined by the velocity of a particular rifle, not Brian Litz or anybody else.
Which is why some bullet makers like Cutting Edge for example don't list BC numbers.
They sound good, and like other things in life they can help sell a product.
For sure the most accurate information is better than less accurate information, and I'm not advocating not trying to obtain that.
But all of that aside, and speaking only to those who hunt, realize that while your obtaining your perfect data for the perfect first round hit,
the animal might well have moved 100 yds requiring different data. Its also very possible that move could have taken it into an area where you wont be seeing it again.
Also be aware that the ammo stored in your vehicle is affected by temperature changes, and none of your equiptment can tell you how much.
Are you aware of what powders are most affected by that? Ill tell you one good way to find out. Frankly, its the only way to find out.
You can choose to listen to experts, many of who are also nonpartisipents as hunters. Or you can choose to just listen, and then go hunt, and find out for yourself.

LongRange
10-12-2016, 03:29 PM
your wrong....heres the BC on the cutting edge 115g 6mm bullet....which is pretty sad for the price!

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MTH_K02

LoneWolf
10-12-2016, 03:39 PM
I'm pretty sure they went to Brian Litz in order to determine the BC's accurately as well actually....

LongRange
10-12-2016, 03:55 PM
The true BC is determined by the velocity of a particular rifle, not Brian Litz or anybody else.

I'm pretty sure they went to Brian Litz in order to determine the BC's accurately as well actually....

buck already covered that...