PDA

View Full Version : Help out a newb please.

theflatlander
10-08-2016, 10:22 PM
First of all I did check for stickies at the top of the page for newbs like me and I havent found a specific thread for newbies to read. If there is one please send me a link.

I have been out of the gun game for a few years, and recently but a t/c dimension in .243 lh and, was also planning on buying the .300wm bolt, barrel, and mags. So I went a head and had one ordered thinking the was going to be the best thing ever. Well I should have done my research better. It wont stabilize as heavy of projectiles as i would have liked, and it looks like they have quit producing any new barrels and bolts so converting it to 300wm isn't a option

I have never built any firearm, but I have disassembled everyone I have had and reassembled. I never realized how much of a following there was for customizing savage bolt guns until yesterday either.

I want a .243 for long range bench shooting, I reload, and want it to stabilize heavy Berger vlds. if possible I would also like it to take a barrel for Magnum cartridges like the .300wm. I want to use after market higher capacity mags, and will put on a after market stock.

My question is what length of action/ models of savage rifles should I be looking at to accomplish having a rifle that will shoot magnum rounds but will also shoot short action/ .243 rounds and will be able to use magazine's?

Robinhood
10-09-2016, 09:38 AM
The Savage short action is made in both calibers. The WSM in is manufactured in what is called a large "shank". It has a 1/16" larger diameter action/barrel thread than the more common small "shank". Both calibers can be shot out of both the large and the small "shank". Then you have the target action option and all of those are the large shank and are single fed with the exception of the LRP type action that is a repeater large shank target style action.

Most all parts are interchangeable from one short action to another. Mostly barrel thread and loading/ejection port designs. I don't keep up with it but there may be some firing pin assembly differences between non magnums and magnums due to the length of the bolt head. Nothing someone with mechanical skills cant compensate for.

Me, I would build or buy the 6 MM in the target action and depending on what the 300wsm is going to be used for IE... hunting, buy a factory Model16 in the WSM. If going long for steel or target there are some great cartridges that would work in the TA without having to change the bolt or the inerds.

After that we can help you spend your money like you had a custom actioned rifle.

RC20
10-09-2016, 12:40 PM
As you are missing two action lengths, this will take some sorting out and learning curve, so don't be in a hurry or get frustrated.
Too man options to start with (including going with the Short Magnum per above ). So sift through it 8 or 10 times and it begins to come into focus as to what you want vs what works.

It depends on if you want to shoot the 300 WM specifically (vs a short magnum) as well as the 243 off the same receiver (per my interpretation )
As the case heads are different, you need different bolt heads.

Others will correct me but I believe the 110 long action types will work with 300 WM.

You could get a 300 WM in whatever style suits you or you can afford, and shoot 243 Single loading in it with a barrel change and a bolt head change.

As noted, Savage has large and small sized nuts as well as barrel size to go with them.

Lots of pre fit barrels but you can't mix the two sizes, you would have to settle for (smaller maybe easiest) and then the order specifies small chassis.

You do get into magazine issues and feeding and depending on where you want to compromise (aka single loading 243)

Its going to take a bit to sort through how you want to approach this, then you can start focusing on the specifics.

Previously Savage had same sized nut, so an older 110 action (anything with 3 numbers aka 116) is long and will do the 300 WM. )

So a used gun that was not in the caliber you wanted could be made to work (magazines then have to be sorted out)

Also a decision on the Acu trigger or not. Usually target shooters like good triggers, if it does not have the acu trigger than you will likely want to buy an aftermarket, adds about $100.

Barrels go in th $325 range (roughly) for a button rifled type.

yobuck
10-09-2016, 01:04 PM
To each his own, but id sooner just have different rifles for different purposes.
That way there is no compromising anything as for action length etc.

Steelhead
10-09-2016, 01:07 PM
To each his own, but id sooner just have different rifles for different purposes.
This

RC20
10-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Maybe I relate somewhat.

I started out with two chassis, I put a 308 barrel on the 111. It may wind up with one of the 308 barrels back on it from time to time.

For single loading it works fine.

RegisG
10-09-2016, 04:05 PM
to each his own, but id sooner just have different rifles for different purposes.

^^^ this ^^^

243LPR
10-09-2016, 09:47 PM
Donor short actions are getting harder to find. At least where I am.

theflatlander
10-10-2016, 02:37 AM
Robinhood, and RC20

Thanks for expanding my mind and answering some questions I didnt know I had yet lol

I should mention before i start asking you guys anymore questions that I have made my choice on a criterion barrel 1-7.5 26" .243 win. I am set up with lap brass already and have dies and powder for the .243 I havent decided on a contour yet but I am thinking light varmint. I also want to equip with the CDI detach box mag. I am not a bench rest shooter by any means and I dont want a singe shot action, but i would like to try longer shots at the range, and still have the possibility of setting up for coyotes and having follow up shots.

I totally have forgot about WSM cartridges because I was never that interested in them. Now that I reload it would make more sense for me to look at the wsm cartridges. you mention that both calibers can be shot out of the small/large shank short action. I think i could settle for a short action rifle with magnum power capability if all the short action centerfire calibers would still reliably feed out of a magazine even if i had to switch out the bottom metal.

I understand the concept of the bolt head swaps, but I never put anything thoughts into the different sized barrel nuts that RC20 mentioned. So im assuming if i picked up the large shank short action, i wouldnt be able to put a criterion barrel on it in .243 since it isnt the "standard" small shank action? I am planning on calling criterion tomorrow for some more info also.

swamphonkey
10-10-2016, 08:56 AM

100% This . your idea is like a politicians. It's going to cost more take longer and always be a pain in the a$$ to make work. Every time you change barrel you resight?? And buddy a 300wm and my all-time favorite the 243 are two different monsters on the recoil. I'm kinda big I'm over 6'1" and 225-250 depending on my year. And I hate a hard kicking rifle so you may want totally different stock designs also and recoil pads. The deminsion and the pro Hunter don't sell close to there venture and there compass will probably out sell all. Because you can get a fine rifle now for 400-600$ and folks don't have all the time like big Ben to play with swaps and re tunes. Plus ammo. I know you 're load but it's still money. My reloads cost me about 1$ a piece. Mag a bit more. So ask your self do you have enough time and money and patience to be one of those guys that do that. Because I know I love just grabbing my rifle and doing what I want. Not always fiddling with something. But again I have two safes full and my reload room closet full. But that's because rifles are so **** good now and cheap I'm always finding a New great deal. Lol

The Coach
10-10-2016, 08:59 AM
Agreed

theflatlander
10-11-2016, 02:36 AM
I think I am going to build a dedicated .243 for now. I will decide if i want to rebarrel it down the road. too bad there wasn't better options offered on twist rates for factory rifles, specially for left handers like me