PDA

View Full Version : Timney Install Accutrigger #638

sigfla
10-08-2016, 02:52 PM
Well I installed my Timney in place of my Accutrigger on my Model 12 .204. Install was easy but Timney's instructions are a bit outdated. I followed Jard's instructions and ignored the part about the sear. My experience with the setup is it breaks nicely as the sear is easy to set. Adjusting the Safety/Overtravel screw was much easier once I found Jard's instructions and realized its purpose. The main issue with the trigger is the set screw that it comes with for the weight adjustment is too long. In order to get the weight down to "target" quality it needs to be backed out to the point that it bottoms out on the stock thus tripping the trigger when closing the bolt. The trigger works well and it does reduce pull weight but in order to really get it down I would suggest a shorter set screw that allows you to screw it in further without creating excess tension.

The trigger does what is says. I doubt I could get down the the advertised 1.5 lbs and am more like 2-2.5 right now due to the screw interference issue. The break is clean however and it feels pretty good. If the Jard or SSS is an improvement over it in terms of weight I would suggest either of those options instead. If you don't mind fiddling a bit the Timney might be improved upon. They do need to update the instructions however as they are bit confusing as written for the Accutrigger model.

sigfla
10-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Well it was a simple fix. I went to Ace Hardware and bought the shortest grub screw that fits in that hole. I can take the tension down to zero if I want and still have the screw countersunk into the trigger for 100% clearance. Breaks at around 1lb now and feels nice and clean. I tried finding a better spring than what Timney gives you but couldn't find one that fits. The biggest problem IMHO with all these triggers is excess play. A few shims in the right places and you would have a spectacular stock or aftermarket trigger.

Zero333
10-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Close the bolt by slapping down on it, fast. If the sear doesn't catch, then the pull weight is too light and not safe by my standards.

Bumping the butt of the stock on the ground to check if it the sear holds is not good enough in my opinion.

Better safe than sorry, and I found my Timneys are perfectly safe and light enough at 2 lbs.