PDA

View Full Version : Forty Years Ago Today

AutomaticSlim
10-08-2016, 02:32 PM
It was the fall of 1976. I was 22 yrs. old, single, and had a really good job. My roommate brought home a copy of one of theshooting mags and there was a product review article on the Savage 112-V in 220Swift. For the test, they topped it offwith a Redfield 3200 in 24X with a dot crosshair. After reading the article and seeing thepics, I decided right then I wanted one.

It didn’t take long to find a gun shop that would orderone. Within a week, I had it inhand. I searched through a copy ofShotgun News and found a Redfield 3200 at Walter Craig, in Selma, AL. They didn’t have the 24X with the dot, so Isettled for a 20X with fine crosshairs. I bought 5 boxes of factory Norma ammo, which is all I could find backthen. I took it to the range and sightedit in. At 100 yds., it will tear a raggedhole. Not near as tight at 200 yds., butI’m sure handloads would bring it in some.

I was happy with the metal finish, but not the wood. The receiver was well polished and nicelyblued. The bull barrel wasn’t polishedas well but is adequate. The stock washorrible. It was American Black Walnut,but it looked to me like they used an opaque brownish finish like you wouldexpect to be used on a piece of birch wood in an effort to make it look likewalnut. It’s a nice piece of blackwalnut, straight grained as could be with no figure. Perfect for a target rifle. On top of the muddy color, you could scratchthe finish off with your fingernail. Icouldn’t have that. I called our localstock maker, Bob Hooper, who was also the stock maker for J&G Rifle Ranch inPrescott, AZ. He stripped off the mudand put a finish on it that brought out the nice color of the walnut.

I shot this rifle sparingly for 2 or 3 yrs. Then, my shooting partner moved, and theyalso closed the rifle range at the shooting club due to a new housingdevelopment. Cleaned and oiled, it wentinto a case in the closet. Shortly afterthat, I moved and it was pushed even farther out of my mind. I realized the other day I’ve had this riflenearly 40 yrs. and hadn’t shot it in over 20. Hard for me to believe, but it’s true. Time sure flies. I got it out andpopped off a couple of rounds for this thread. It’s still the loudest rifle I have. I estimate it's had no more than 500 rounds through it. Click on the link to my photo bucketfolder. Sales receipts, instructions, andpics of the rifle on a bench at a range. Gary

http://s106.photobucket.com/user/Hexar1953/library/Savage%20112-V?sort=3&page=1

hacker
10-08-2016, 04:05 PM
hey, great story, and a fine rifle, in a true classic caliber. I enjoyed it.

Boanerges
10-08-2016, 04:26 PM
What a fantastic story AutomaticSlim! I surely appreciate you posting it too.
Go shoot it some more.

Zero333
10-12-2016, 06:43 PM
Very nice rifle and story too.

Thanks for posting.

J.Baker
10-13-2016, 05:27 AM
Welcome to the site Gary, and great old rifle you have there.

scooterf79
10-14-2016, 01:19 PM
Wow! Great story! And rifle! Ahh the swift...a classic....I just put one together a few weeks ago. Doing some load workups as we speak.
Man...buying nice rifles for $200....sweet!
Scooter

Anschutz
10-18-2016, 01:51 AM
Wow, that is a nice rifle for sure and a great story. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the site.

NOOTKA NICK
10-30-2016, 02:51 AM
YES,time does fly!!!!! great rifle AND story !!!! 40 years ago,i was living in QUEBEC Canada and moose hunting up north central part of the province...
Just came home a couple days ago from WILLIAMS LAKE area ,2 week hunt and fishing trip.... a week before I left the BIG ISLAND I spent 6 days about 60 miles from home on the last 5 days of warm sunny weather we will see for several months..... no other hunters or loggers and only heard a jet way up and the roar of a BEAVER float plane in the far off distance....
so take your SWIFT out,any and every chance you get......time keeps ''flying by'' so make the most of it...
again, great story NN