PDA

View Full Version : Inquiring mind..

thatguyshm
08-02-2010, 11:54 PM
First post. To admit, I haven't lurked much. Tried to search a bit, but tend to be a rather blunt individual.

So... To start it off. I just started looking into Savage style rifles. Its a bit pre-mature, but I am looking into this brand as my next build. It will be my second true scratch built rifle, the first being a beautiful AR-15 6.8 SPC build. I have been looking for a better long gun that I can throw together myself, and thus, here I am at Savage Shooters.

Long story short. I graduate college in 2 years. I may be starting early, but I prefer to study/research/compare and so much more long before I purchase and build. I want a bolt gun I've built myself. I have more tools at my disposal then most everyone. Machine shop, fabrication, CNC and plasma cutters, you name it. My father is an instructor for machine tool, metal fab and welding, on top of having worked the business for more than 30 years. We both enjoy firearms immensely, reloading and building. Accuracy is where I make my money. My father smokes me every day with a pistol, being ex law enforcement, but I take him on long guns every day.

I have a Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag that can shoot well under 1moa. At 450 yrds I can hit a 3" 5 shot group. I want more. I already have a scope, but would like to build either a 300 win mag or 338 Edge for some distance as a self graduation project/present. I doubt It will be easy without fabricating a new mag for the Edge, and I already have dies for a 300, so I guess I need to go that route...

So I guess I just need information. I am going to go back to research throughout the boards, but I wanted to cast this line first. I can mill out a LA Savage action to accept 3.600" shells, but the mag is my issue. I'm assuming that there aren't any kinds of bottom metals for the LA version of the Savage action that offer nice mags. I like the 7.62 NATO round, but I prefer magnum cartridges.

Any kind of suggestion/help/sharp shooting advice is more than welcomed. I know darned well I'm far from knowing much about this action platform, as I've been a Remmy fan for far too long. So please help a novice Savage person plan a build.

Thank you very much

Seth

ellobo
08-03-2010, 12:26 AM
WElcome to the site. Everything you ever wanted to know and a lot you dont will be here. Get a $12 membership to the site and you will have access to all the tech articles and classified pages. Others will chime in shortly. What the first suggestion will be is contact Jim Briggs at Northlander for any and all parts you will need and a ton of advice.. A check of the SharpShooterSupply website is in order. Actions are available. Fred at SSS does accuracy work on Savages that even with all your tools/mashine available you cant do as he has developed special tooling and methods you could not duplicatew without years of research. You will need a barrel nut wrench and an action wrench. If you already have a wrench for Remmys your all set there. Match grade barrels are available from several vendors like Shillen, Pac-Nor, Kreiger, Lothar Walther and others. They are screw in barrels, completely chambered. SSS and jim Briggs are advertisers here. Stocks and other stuff can be had from vendors on site. Any questions you have will get a response from a multitude of people when you ask. Answers for the Edge cartridge will be available. And no, there is no bottom metal for a magazine to fit the edge. Good luck El Lobo

frank1947
08-03-2010, 11:48 AM
well you sure have the tools, here is all I can tell you I shoot sub moa at 600 yards consistantly .6 moa with 2 guns a savage model 12 F-Class gun in 6mm BR and a Remington 700 MilSpec 5R in a .308 both are Stainless barrel the remington is different then the savage with the 5R Krieger makes a 5R barrel.