PDA

View Full Version : Can you make a Savage factory 10 round magazine feed 223?

Pages : [1] 2

scuzzy
10-06-2016, 08:05 PM
I did some tinkering at home recently and it got me thinking. The journey so far....

I have a 12FV 223 with blind mag, and my brother game me a varmint/tactical synthetic stock with savage factory bottom metal. I recently took the original magazine from my 10T, removed the foot-plate, and installed it on the internal box magazine from my 12FV. I then installed it all in the stock my brother gave me, giving me a 223 with a 5 shot DBM. I really like it, and am kicking myself for not thinking of it earlier. No more skinned knuckles from top loading rounds with a full length scope base.

I was thinking, I did it with a 4 round mag, can I convert a mag from an fcp-sr into a reliable feeding 223 magazine that would hold 10+ rounds? I figure the bottom portion would require spacers on each side and the rear portion. Does it clip together the same as the factory 4 round mags?

Any and all help would be appreciated. I don't have the $200 budget to get AICS compatible metal and mags currently, and no one makes 223 10 rounders for the model 10 to purchase, that I am aware of.

The Coach
10-06-2016, 08:59 PM
CDI Precision might have something that works for you?
http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/detachable-box-mag-systems-bottom-metal/

scuzzy
10-06-2016, 09:02 PM
CDI Precision might have something that works for you?
http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/detachable-box-mag-systems-bottom-metal/

I think you skipped over the last paragraph of my post.....

The Coach
10-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Sorry

Robinhood
10-06-2016, 11:22 PM
Make/modify your own bottom metal to fit AR mags.

scuzzy
10-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Make/modify your own bottom metal to fit AR mags.

doesn't that require machine work to the bottom of the action?

Robinhood
10-07-2016, 10:55 AM
It might require some handy work and maybe some epoxy and a Dremel. I have never tried. Nothing is free. Cash or elbow grease and ingenuity. The last time I saw somebody get something for free was when TORCHRIDER begged and cried his way into a decent build through the benevolence of the fine members of this forum. You could try that but ratmag would be my first stop.

scuzzy
10-07-2016, 11:11 AM
i looked at the 10 round fcp-sr mag that i have on my 10T. the extended lower part appears to attach to the magazine upper the same as all other savage mags. I believe, that with side and rear inserts, it can work. I will probably get ready and order one and see what I can do. I have some kydex, and that should be easily fit as spacers in the magazine bottom. I would probably need to use the orignal extended spring, the 223 follower and upper metal, and rig up the lower extended box. i think this might work....

scuzzy
10-07-2016, 11:20 AM
It might require some handy work and maybe some epoxy and a Dremel. I have never tried. Nothing is free. Cash or elbow grease and ingenuity. The last time I saw somebody get something for free was when TORCHRIDER begged and cried his way into a decent build through the benevolence of the fine members of this forum. You could try that but ratmag would be my first stop.

not sure where you are going with the "free" talk. only thing i'm asking for is ideas/info.

I would love to run AR mags, but I'm not sure I wanna permanently alter my action with dremel "milling".

just did more reading on the snyder mags site....i may look into that! i based my thoughts on pictures which all had plastic tabs, but they make them for the model 10 with release on bottom metal. sending in my mag for conversion may be a nice route.

Robinhood
10-07-2016, 12:07 PM
I think you skipped over the last paragraph of my post.....

Any and all help would be appreciated. I don't have the $200 budget to get AICS compatible metal and mags currently, and no one makes 223 10 rounders for the model 10 to purchase, that I am aware of.

not sure where you are going with the "free" talk. only thing i'm asking for is ideas/info.

No insult intended. Getting you into a 10rd 223 mag for a small price is not easy. Gun mods are expensive most of the time. I had forgotten the Snider mag thing, mostly due to the plastic mag-frame need. It is a good lightweight option and I bet one of the guys who bought a Boyds would be glad to sell you a stock that has the molded in DBM frame for cheap. Good luck.

scuzzy
10-07-2016, 12:26 PM
No insult intended. Getting you into a 10rd 223 mag for a small price is not easy. Gun mods are expensive most of the time. I had forgotten the Snider mag thing, mostly due to the plastic mag-frame need. It is a good lightweight option and I bet one of the guys who bought a Boyds would be glad to sell you a stock that has the molded in DBM frame for cheap. Good luck.

sorry as well, text doesn't best convey intention. i agree, it doesn't look like a frugal endeavor. crunching numbers, the snyder mags look like possibly the most cost effective, plus 15 rounders would be great for the upcoming prairie dog trip.

I would love to just get the PTG metal with the polymer AICS compatible mags, but then I have to change or modify the bolt stop to work, the $$$ piles up. They are also charging $23 for shipping of their stealth metal, which is absolutely insane! i emailed and they said that is what it cost them to ship. strangely, I can ship much heavier and much bigger items for half that cost. i am starting to despise the majority of online sellers and their over-the-top shipping prices. they make up the cost of their product prices on ridiculous shipping charges.

Robinhood
10-07-2016, 12:30 PM
Bolt stop mod?

scuzzy
10-07-2016, 12:32 PM
Bolt stop mod?

my understanding is that the AICS mags site the 223 rounds back farther than the savage 223 mags do, and with the normal factory bolt stop, the bolt doesn't go back enough to catch the back of the round with the AICS mags. so you have to change to a normal short action bolt stop or take off some of the stock bolt stop to get the needed travel. (i hope I am calling the proper part the bolt stop)

Robinhood
10-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Okay. Thats what I thought you were saying. The part that needs to be changed or modified is the front baffle. If you look at your front baffle, on one side it extends to the rear further than the opposite side. this extension causes the bolt to stop just behind the base of the cartridge using a savage magazine that is designed to block the cartridges as far forward as reasonable. If you purchase a set-up that does not allow the bolt to strip/pick up the round from the magazine then you would need to measure how much further the bolt needs to go back and you would remove that amount (plus a little extra) from the rear of the extension on that front baffle.
https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/956/956092.jpg

SUTTERERMAN85
10-07-2016, 12:51 PM
You might just need a 308 bolt baffle instead of the 223 on with the longer ear. They are like $6 at midway

scuzzy
10-17-2016, 03:33 PM
just ordered PTG metal, MDT poly mag, and the 110 bolt baffle. will save money and be more versatile in the long run. will update when installed.

WeldNFool
10-17-2016, 04:20 PM
"ratmag" LOL! I like that!

scuzzy
10-24-2016, 03:13 AM
Well, update with no progress. Frustrations with all these companies we have to choose from for firearm parts.

I ordered a baffle from @@@@. It was sent with factory packaging open, and the 110 baffle was replaced with the baffle I already own for the model 10, 223 bolt. Awaiting a response on what they will do to remedy the situation. The packaging has the proper parts #, so I guess its not their fault. But they did send an open item that was sold as new...

As for @@@, i will probably not buy from them again. I ordered on the 16th, the bottom metal and magazine were both in stock, and are still in stock. They charged my credit card immediately, and charged me $20 to ship an item that is small and just over 1lb. It still hasnt shipped, still is in processing. Sadly, the extremely high shipping and turtle-slow shipping is becoming the norm with any online firearm-related merchants, and we as consumers are forced to go without, or pay into the terrible service. That's the primary reason I buy what I can on Amazon...

I hope to have updates and pics of the rifle with new bottom metal, but if they don't ship by Tuesday, I'm requesting a refund and will figure out from there.

Edited to remove vendor names, i dont wanna break forum rules.

scuzzy
10-27-2016, 07:57 PM
Well, got in the parts today and did a 5 min dremel job in the stock to get bottom metal flush with pillars, and then got it all installed. the baffle replacement took a bit longer....but it is all done now, and feeding flawlessly. i am pleased with the quality of the ptg product and thd mdt mag. also, very happy that this bottom metal used the same screws as the stock bottom metal.

ready to slay some prairie dogs!
http://i64.tinypic.com/2r5u3wj.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/bgnqj6.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/jkuk91.jpg

The Coach
10-27-2016, 08:48 PM
Nice scuzzy!
What was the process to get the baffle installed?
How does the magazine release?