PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Possible Purchase of a Savage 99 .308

GreybeardGunner
10-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Hey Everyone:

I have the opportunity to pick up a .308 Savage 99 Lever-Action rifle. It's in a community 1 1/2 hrs away and I want to know if it is worth the drive out to take a look at it. The guy is pretty solid on $400, but it does come with a scope, two boxes of shells and a case. He's sent pictures and the thing looks to be in great shape. He apparently was saving it for his son, who no longer shows any interest in shooting. I'd like some thoughts on this particular firearm as I know nothing of lever-action rifles. I'm looking for a second deer rifle to go along with my 1941 No1 Mk 3 Lee Enfield Lithgow. Thanks for the help!

Shawn

Mad Dog
10-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Shawn, as soon as I saw your other big game rifle was an old 303 British I knew you were another canuck before I even glanced to the left to confirm it, haha.

To answer your question I'm guessing it's going to be a post mil 99 but if the serial number is under one million it's a steal. If it's a post mil and comes with a scope shells and case and the condition is good it's still a good deal up here in the north.

GreybeardGunner
10-07-2016, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the help!
Shawn

GreybeardGunner
10-07-2016, 07:35 AM
Hey Mad Dog!

Thanks for that!! I guess I'm going on a road trip, lol. Yep, I grew up in Northern Ontario (Sudbury, to be exact). Joined the navy and moved to Halifax about twelve years ago. The first rifle I ever pulled the trigger on was my dear old dads Lee Enfield. I don't have that rifle, unfortunately, but I do have a fine No1 Mk3 Lithgow that I picked up for a staggering $100, lol. It's been my deer rifle for a number of years now. Recently I have the urge for a lever action and the 30.30 round just doesn't appeal to me. I was planning to hold out till next year and get a new Marlin .35REM or a Marlin .45-70, but I think maybe this Savage .308 might be the cat's ass. So...if it's pre mil, snap it up and if it's post mil, still look at it. Is that about right? I'm sitting on the fence a bit.

Shawn

GreybeardGunner
10-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Hi All:

Well, I guess fate wasn't on my side. After arranging a meeting date and time, the seller wrote me back to say that he had sold the rifle. Poor form, but what's a guy to do but lick his wounds and carry on, lol. My search continues......Thanks for the advice, guys.

Shawn