PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: Results testing Savage 64

merbeau
10-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Hi

I picked up a Savage 64 for a good price and purchased McCarbo trigger spring kit, new target trigger, extended bolt handle and extended magazine release. I also purchased a Boyd's Barracuda stock and mounted a 3x9x37 mm scope that I had on my shelf. I then went to the range armed with 12 brands of 22 ammunition and Fiocchi Super Match SM 300 produced a 3-shot group of 0.3 inches at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity producing a group of 0.6 inches.

I did not experience any jamming as I have seen from other posts.

When I moved to 100 yards the rifle would shoot the first two shots next to each other and the third would be 3 inches low. This happened for both the Fiochhi and CCI ammunition. Tried this two more times with the same results.

I realize that 100 yards is a long ways but have never seen a rifle shoot so well at 50 and lose it at 100. Could it be possible the last round is being shaved by the magazine or the chamber as it enters? Anyone have this experience?

Thanks

Robert

boomer92266
10-05-2016, 03:25 PM
are you loading just 3 in the mag when you are shooting? if so try putting 4 r more but only shoot 3 and see where your third shot goes.

merbeau
10-05-2016, 05:28 PM
are you loading just 3 in the mag when you are shooting? if so try putting 4 r more but only shoot 3 and see where your third shot goes.

I was only loading three into the magazine. I will try loading 4 or more and then see what happens.

nobody
10-06-2016, 07:17 AM
thee measure for a .22lr is 50 yards. i have shot 100 a few times and the wind plays havic on the lowly .22lr at 100 yards. shooting a .22lr at 100 yards is alot like shooting centerfires at 400 or 500 yards to me. it could be very good practice for medium range shooting.

merbeau
10-06-2016, 09:15 AM
I would agree that 100 yards is fairly long for a 22 lr but on the days that I shoot the wind is minimal. On the same day shooting the Savage I also shot my TOZ 22 lr albeit a bolt action. I can no longer find Aquila Golden Eagle which the TOZ rifle liked and was fortunate to find Aquila Super Extra as a substitute. The TOZ rifle will shoot a jagged one hole group at 50 yards and moving to 100 yards held a one inch group. That is the reason I was surprised to see the (in my opinion) weird results for the Savage. Boomer has a good suggestion about loading 4 or 5 and seeing what happens on the third shot, etc. I also have two other magazines that I could try and see what happens.

Thanks

Robert

nobody
10-06-2016, 12:32 PM
i would guess the follower on thet last round is kicking it a strange way on your third shot as well. the funny thing for me is i have a bunch of custom 10/22 rifles. years ago a friend of mine shot his in local matches made for 10/22 rifles. he told me his first shot on a fresh mag was always off. come to find out others were to. i got to playing with mine and guess what? no matter what magi tried, my first shots in every rifle was off. just saying things are strange in different ways.

merbeau
10-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Your reply made me think it is probably also useful to try and shoot one round at a time with no magazine along with testing more than three rounds in the magazine. I suspect you are correct in that the follower is doing something strange. If I find anything I will post it.

nobody
10-10-2016, 10:04 PM
you retestedyet? i test alot from 25 yards out to a 1000. just wondering what you found out.

merbeau
10-11-2016, 01:39 PM
you retestedyet? i test alot from 25 yards out to a 1000. just wondering what you found out.

Just came back from the range at 11:35 CST. Temperature was 75, humidity 36%, wind 3 mph, pressure 30.09. and elevation 810 feet. Shot 3 rounds without any magazine feed and produced a group of 1.75 inches at 100 yards. Tried 3 rounds in magazine number 1 and two shots close and 1 shot 3 inches low and to right. Then loaded 4 rounds into magazine one and three shots close and fourth was 3 inches low and to the right. Tried magazine number 2 and produced same results.

19 Dec 2017 Actually let the rifle sit in the safe for a long time. Just happened to see a few posts about shooters having luck with the Limb Saver barrel harmonic adapter which is a less than %15 dollar investment. Purchased one for the 64 and after several adjustments actually got the shots to all hit in a 1.5 inch group. Repeated this several times with the same result. Kind of a funny looking object hanging near the end of the barrel but it works.