PDA

View Full Version : Rebarreling to new caliber and barrel profile

Grim
10-05-2016, 12:22 AM
Currently have a bastardized Hog Hunter, ordered and installed an HS Precision stock with the bottom metal, and am thinking about ordering a new barrel in 243 for it.

My question for the class :p is this, would there be any issue with fitting the same profile barrels that the model 12 Long Range Precision / Model 10 FCP HS Precision currently wear?

Just not sure if there is something 'particular' to the Hog Hunter action that would prevent the heavier barrel to be fitted as the Hog Hunter seems to be a cheaper model line.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

m12lrs
10-05-2016, 08:10 AM
not familiar with the hog hunter at all but I believe all savage actions are barrel nut actions. Need to know if it is standard shank or large shank action.

Now most likely if you change the barrel taper or even length of the barrel the new barrel will not fit the barrel channel in your stock.

LoneWolf
10-05-2016, 09:06 AM
The LRP Actions use a Large shank and therefore a large barrel nut. The hog hunter action is a small shank. As long as the barrel is small shank Savage barrel tenon it will work all the way up to a straight bull contour. If you want larger than the standard Savage Bull contour say 1.25 inch straight taper like some of the Bench and F-Class rigs then you would probably need to have a Smith shoulder it to the action. I believe I've found the perfect balance for me in the Heavy Palma Contour.

Robinhood
10-05-2016, 05:03 PM
^ yep.

Grim
10-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the replies gents.

m12lrs, I have the HS Precision stock so a Savage bull barrel should work, according to LoneWolf.

Question, what am I looking at to tell if a Savage action is a large or small shank?

TonyBen
10-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Look at the barrel nut. If it's longer, it's a small shank. If it's a large shank, the barrel nut will be shorter.

See the link below for a comparison.

http://www.savageshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=619&d=1341581418&stc=1

Tony.

Grim
10-06-2016, 07:00 PM
TonyBen, thanks for the info! Looking at some examples I seem to have the Standard smooth barrel nut shank on the Hog Hunter. I'll call Savage tomorrow and check on something like a heavy varmint profile in 243 as well as a grooved barrel nut so that it is easier to remove next time.

Thanks again,

Steve