PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Savage 99 take down question

Rebel_Ray
10-04-2016, 08:21 PM
Howdy! I am new to the forum and new to Savage firearms too. I've been looking to get a Savage model 99 in .22 Savage Hi-Power (because I like weird stuff) and my internet readings have told me to stay away from take down models due to them being inaccurate, is there any truth to this or is it just internet BS? Now I'm just a college student so I'd like to get an accurate rifle the first go around and not have to go through several rifles. Thanks!

Flintlock28
10-05-2016, 07:53 PM
Howdy! I am new to the forum and new to Savage firearms too. I've been looking to get a Savage model 99 in .22 Savage Hi-Power (because I like weird stuff) and my internet readings have told me to stay away from take down models due to them being inaccurate, is there any truth to this or is it just internet BS? Now I'm just a college student so I'd like to get an accurate rifle the first go around and not have to go through several rifles. Thanks!

My take down 1899/99 Early "F" model built in 1924 gives 1.5 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards, using factory Hornady ammo. I consider that fine accuracy for a big game rifle. If you are looking for consistent 1 inch or smaller groups at 100 yards, than any model 99 is probably not going to give you that consistent accuracy. See my write up of resurbishing my rifle.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?50957-My-first-Savage-99-can-t-figure-out-what-model