PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 without accutrigger-- easy to upgrade???

RegisG
10-04-2016, 03:52 PM
There is a Savage 12 without accu-trigger for sale locally that I may be able to get pretty good price. I would like a 12 action to build on but, don't know if it can easily be replaced with an accu-trigger? Or what other trigger choices there may be? If much involved, I'll just wait for another opportunity.

Appreciate any tips or experience.
Regis

223Randy
10-04-2016, 09:21 PM
I just installed an accu-trigger on my Stevens 200 in about 30 mins..

RC20
10-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Not supposed to cross fit if none to start with. Mine all are so I do not have any in front of me.

Hard to get an acu trigger unless off another rifle, I don't think Savage sells them separately, parts only and then with a disclaimer or liability.

Other triggers out there, happy with the Acus so have not tried any and no opinion

Robinhood
10-05-2016, 04:59 PM
If you can get a trigger from Sharp Shooter Supply you will be happy. Parts for the accutrigger are available through Savage. Why you need an accutrigger is another conversation.

olddav
10-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Check out Timney, Rifle Basix (SAV-1 or SAV-2) or SSS trigger. Which one depends on what you intend to do with the rifle.
You could just tune the one you have.

RC20
10-06-2016, 03:10 PM
If I had a non acu, I would get one of the above choices.

that said, I like the acu perfectly fine and it saves $100 that I can put to my long term barrel project.

big honkin jeep
10-06-2016, 09:17 PM
An old flatback model 12 should have the old style 3 screw trigger with the sear adjustment.
With the addition of a lighter spring they adjust up very nicely indeed.
You should be able to get it down to 2 pounds easily. (yeah that is a whole lot lighter than most folks think)
In my opinion no need to replace it, unless you just want to.
I love the old flat backs (what I cut my teeth on) and have a couple that always turn heads at the range with their accuracy.
Good luck and have fun.

Damon555
10-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Just have the trigger that's on there reworked or get one of the after market offerings. While I don't mind the accu-trigger it's not that great compared to a good aftermarket trigger.

hacker
10-08-2016, 04:18 PM
An old flatback model 12 should have the old style 3 screw trigger with the sear adjustment.
With the addition of a lighter spring they adjust up very nicely indeed.
You should be able to get it down to 2 pounds easily. (yeah that is a whole lot lighter than most folks think)
In my opinion no need to replace it, unless you just want to.
I love the old flat backs (what I cut my teeth on) and have a couple that always turn heads at the range with their accuracy.
Good luck and have fun.

Very interesting. I have an older flat top that I replaced the trigger with
some after market one. I really liked the after market one, although I
don't remember the name, it was quite reasonable price, and I saved
the original trigger.

So now I have this original trigger which, if I just change the spring on,
I can get it down to 2 pound pull? Fantastic, nice to know I have that
sitting there.

RegisG
10-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Well, I appreciate the trigger tips but, someone got it before me.
But, now I will keep my eye out for another.
Thanks,
Regis

007shooter
02-13-2023, 12:34 AM
There is a Savage 12 without accu-trigger for sale locally that I may be able to get pretty good price. I would like a 12 action to build on but, don't know if it can easily be replaced with an accu-trigger? Or what other trigger choices there may be? If much involved, I'll just wait for another opportunity.

Appreciate any tips or experience.
Regis

I am about to receive an older model 12 ( I think it is a single shot) HB for sure with nice target walnut stock. Not the stippled j series stock. I want to enlarge the receiver DT holes. Where is a flat area or place to establish verticle/horizontal? also, does it matter if it is a SS or repeater action?