PDA

View Full Version : Rifle shipping case

johned
10-04-2016, 02:31 PM
FYI

I recently purchased three cases from "PLANO". Superb product and could easily stand up to a shipment to AFRICA and back. Feature laden.

thatguyshm
10-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Which model? I've seen some reviews on them that say with locks on the case you can still easily get a rifle out of it.

sigfla
10-04-2016, 03:54 PM
If you want to send a gun to Africa get an Americase. First, last, and only option...

johned
10-05-2016, 09:03 PM
If you want to send a gun to Africa get an Americase. First, last, and only option...

You are ever so correct that the Amer. is a far superior product. But at $800 it is 15 times(@) as expensive. Soooo, I can't afford that. But maybe Plano is number two?

johned
10-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Which model? I've seen some reviews on them that say with locks on the case you can still easily get a rifle out of it.

Mine is a 42 inch Tactical Case. Model 108442. The locks look to be simplistic and could be defeated. But, there are 4 of them and nothing is burglar "proof" so I think the locks will slow down a thief. The hasps are flanked by the case molding so getting under the lock would be difficult...Refer to "PROOF" comment. Using it's handle a cable lock similar to bicycles. They can be cut also but a hack saw doesn't work on some of that stuff.

My point is that for $60 this is a bargain. It needs wheels as it is as heavy as it is stout.

J.Baker
10-06-2016, 12:52 AM
Based on the Plano's I've looked at, including their "Mil-Spec" Field Locker and "All Weather" cases that mimic the Storm/Pelican cases, they still aren't anywhere near the quality or durability of the Storm/Pelican. The plastic used on the Plano is thinner and a softer compound than that used in the Storm/Pelican cases, the Plano's foam is a lower density pick-n-pluck style which will be much less durable over time, and looking at the hinge construction they don't seem to be as robust as those on the Storm/Pelican cases. Not saying they're a bad case, but by design they're a lighter duty case with an appropriately lower price point.

I'll happily spend the extra $75-100 for a Storm/Pelican case over a similarly sized Plano to protect a rifle that I've got $1,000 or more wrapped up in. The Storm/Pelican cases are well proven through military use and are pretty much the standard for sensitive industrial, lab and testing equipment that requires good protection for transit.

johned
10-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Based on the Plano's I've looked at, including their "Mil-Spec" Field Locker and "All Weather" cases that mimic the Storm/Pelican cases, they still aren't anywhere near the quality or durability of the Storm/Pelican. The plastic used on the Plano is thinner and a softer compound than that used in the Storm/Pelican cases, the Plano's foam is a lower density pick-n-pluck style which will be much less durable over time, and looking at the hinge construction they don't seem to be as robust as those on the Storm/Pelican cases. Not saying they're a bad case, but by design they're a lighter duty case with an appropriately lower price point.

I'll happily spend the extra $75-100 for a Storm/Pelican case over a similarly sized Plano to protect a rifle that I've got $1,000 or more wrapped up in. The Storm/Pelican cases are well proven through military use and are pretty much the standard for sensitive industrial, lab and testing equipment that requires good protection for transit.

I can't argue any of that. Pelican looks to be the superior product, hands down. At 20 pounds the Pelican looks to be the equal of the Plano. The Plano isn't thinner, I don't imagine, than the pelican and the Plano I have will support my Ranger truck I am pretty sure. But, as I have said, the Plano is pretty heavy and I suggested, almost in jest, that it needed wheels. The Pelican has those wheels and weighs 20 pounds. The pelican has a feature that can't be beaten.....Life Time Warranty. I usually am willing to stretch for that feature. Facts be known, however, of the 10 rifle cases I have none has ever broken or worn out. Not even the foam.

Were I hunter or shooting competitor, I would opt for something much lighter but for plastic I would jump at the Pelican with it's dandy wheels instead of the Plano I bought. Not unhappy with my choice at all. however, as my use is for long term storage primarily. Water tight and heck for stout and lockable to ward off the grand kids. Only semi man-packable so it could be seen as a mini semi-safe.

This is why we have horse races. Butr, all the info and choices you have mentioned will benefit many on the board and I thank you for that. My work here is done....:p

J.Baker
10-07-2016, 07:39 AM
Well, I know my Pelican/Storm iM3300 will survive being run over by a 4,300 pound vehicle multiple times (1978 Jeep Cherokee) because I did it when I first got and reviewed it back in 2004. It also survived several 10-foot drops off of the roof of my house onto a concrete driveway to simulate falling out of a planes cargo bay onto the tarmac without breaking or having any of the latches pop open. Naturally it got some scuffs and bruises from the experience, but otherwise it came out unscathed with no significant damage.

WeldNFool
10-18-2016, 02:04 PM
I don't know about the Americase but I have a Pelican for my baby that came with the rifle. Very rugged case, has wheels to roll it around. Without the rifle it's fairly heavy. With the rifle it's a lot heavy! The foam is dense, the plastic shell is heavy duty. I have a few cheap gun cases for the cheap stuff and there is no comparison. I'm not sure what a Pelican costs. For me it was either the price of the rifle or if I want to think positive it was free with the price of the rifle, lol!

Looking at Americase website and a two gun, scoped all aluminum case with wheels and customizable foam for $380.00, not to shabby considering it's aluminum and possibly TIG welded by hand. https://www.americase.com/product/AT-5216HW

It all depends on how valuable your firearms are to you. Cheap cases equal little or no protection. Either way though, locks, doors and other things are ways to keep an honest man honest. A thief will find a way regardless.