PDA

View Full Version : Ring and base recommendations

wjarrell
10-03-2016, 03:01 PM
I'm getting ready to start my first build on a pre accutrigger savage 111 action. It's going to be a 260 rem sporter contour Shilen barrel. The scope I'm going with is a sightron stac 3-16x42. My goal for this gun is a 700 yard deer sized animal gun. Not really sure what base and rings I should go with and that's why I'm here. Any suggestions?

darkker
10-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Unless that scope has 3 mils of adjustment, and that gets used up during zeroing; you won't need a canted base.
So really it doesn't matter, use whatever makes you happy.

Personally I'm not much for Uber rings for what you are doing. I've used Badger, and used some possibly tin, no-name garbage from a garage sale. If you are wanting to be able to throw it down a hill, survive a IED, and shooting a 338 Lapua with no brake; great, use some real rings. For the average deer hunter using a 260, use whatever you want.

Myself I like a pic base rail and some rings. The rail gives you some flexibility for mounting location. I actually am really happy with the Primary Arms rings. Seem to be well made and are quite affordable, but at this point really don't have any favorites. EGW has affordable rails as an option.

The Coach
10-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Another vote for EGW base.
I'm a big fan of SWFA's SS rings. They're right around $35.00. Burris X Treme rings are good too and around $30.00

RC20
10-08-2016, 01:03 PM
I like Warnes, all steel, they have an on online calculator to get the right ring height.

I too am leaning towards a rail type. I have a real nice ADV base I have one scope on, I move the scopes around, so it would be nice to have the rail and not have to move out of whatever rings or the ADV the scope happens to be in.

A stiffer action is a more consistent one. while I don't have any proof, my thought is that a rail also stiffens up the action (non narrow slot single shot aside)

It may help the accuracy departments a bit if it does.

Certainly does not hurt and benefits, some operating and some maybe.