PDA

View Full Version : Switching barrels with iron sights

hacker
10-03-2016, 12:14 AM
I sort of like the idea of having iron sights, and I notice there
is quite a supply of used 110 barrels for sale with iron sights.
The only problem I can think of is that the head space may
be a problem with the iron sights sitting perfectly straight up on
top of the barrel. Best case, I imagine, is that you could
screw the barrel onto a new factory case and see just
where the sights are, then if you back off just slightly
and the sights are positioned right, you should be good
to go. On the other hand, worst case, you screw the
barrel onto a new factory case, and the sight is way off,
now you just remove the case, go ahead and turn the
barrel to have the correct position for the sights and then
tighten the barrel nut. Now though you don't have enough
head space, and you need a chamber reamer to just
go slightly deeper on the chamber cut to get the proper
headspace.

Have any of you actually made a barrel transfer putting
on a barrel with iron sights on a different action than
the one it came off of? If so, how did it go?

Robinhood
10-03-2016, 01:46 AM
Never worked for me. There is .050" in one rotation of the barrel. About 7.2 degrees for every .001". You could probably hit correct head space in about .003" - .004". So lets say there is a 25 degree window of getting it right. That leaves 335 degree window of getting it wrong. 1 in 13 or 14 chance. I am pulling that out of the dark place.....

hacker
10-03-2016, 03:47 AM
Never worked for me. There is .050" in one rotation of the barrel. About 7.2 degrees for every .001". You could probably hit correct head space in about .003" - .004". So lets say there is a 25 degree window of getting it right. That leaves 335 degree window of getting it wrong. 1 in 13 or 14 chance. I am pulling that out of the dark place.....
Very nice analysis, mathematically clear to be high risk, on getting it right with no adjusting of things somehow.

bsekf
10-03-2016, 09:39 AM
If you reload it is not a big deal, just leave the chamber long and set your FL die according. Would probably have to grind the die if you set it short. BUT, you have factored out using factory ammo.

It would be cheaper to re-drill and tap the holes for the sights than re-chamber.

Bill

RC20
10-03-2016, 10:48 AM
That has been one of my questions as to how the factory handles it. Iron sights even as backup used to be common, not nearly so much now.

I know I tried to get my XC barrel stamp where it could be seen, could not make it happen as very little turn makes huge difference (though I am running tight chamber on it)

Possibility is to use the whole range available.

You can make a No Go gauge into a field reject gauge by putting a piece of tape on the back.

Keep in mind that a field reject is a new chamber thing and quality control. All my Model of 1917s run out to the end of field reject and no problems with brass. Once it fire forms you can treat it normally and it does not kill it. Putting it into a non field reject chamber would be a problem, you would have to do the full bump back cam over on the press to get it there. Keep the brass separate for that application and fine.

You would have to use the go gauge and tight (not keen on factory ammo as a gauges) and then see where the sight was.

Next time I do a barrel I will play with it and see how possible it is, mark the front of a barrel at a random point and see if it can be lined up.

That said Savage may also have it closely indexed enough to have a specify spot to put the sight on the barrel that then works but that's a guess. Shims?

rjtfroggy
10-03-2016, 10:58 AM
I may be wrong but I think Savage does the sights just like the barrel stamp. Which would be after the barrel is head spaced.
That's why nothing lines up.

RC20
10-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Are they soldered on?

I am used to Mil surplus with the slot cuts but ..........

hacker
10-03-2016, 03:45 PM
I appreciate all the really good comments here, fantastic knowledge base.

Are they soldered on?

I am guessing, NO. remember that is guessing. In a factory setting probably easier
to drill and tap, then screw it on.

I want to make up some iron sighted guns, and all this could be helpful.
One thing to consider is how much iron sights now cost, like an arm and
a leg, yet they used to come standard. It might be good to buy one of
these iron sighted barrels, unscrew it from the barrel, plug the holes
and now have a set of sights at a pretty low cost. You could then make
up some barrel bands, that will clamp onto the barrel, mount the sights
on the barrel bands. Hey, you got to waste you life doing something,
why not make up some iron sighted barrels?

J.Baker
10-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Unfortunately there one only one or two models (Hog Hunter and ??) that still come equipped with factory iron sights. Used to be all the Hunter Series came with iron sights, but they completely did away with it several years ago. They've even cut way back on the rimfire models that come with open sights. I know most folks use scopes these days, but that doesn't mean you don't still want/need back-up irons.

Three44s
10-06-2016, 09:14 AM
I have one appeture sight for Savage bolt guns ........... I have not used it yet but I am keeping it for some future use.

Such a rear sight would solve half the equation of your problem, the other half ........ the front sight could be solved with front sights based on a band mounting system.

Best regards

Three 44s

johned
10-06-2016, 08:49 PM
I appreciate all the really good comments here, fantastic knowledge base.

I am guessing, NO. remember that is guessing. In a factory setting probably easier
to drill and tap, then screw it on.

I want to make up some iron sighted guns, and all this could be helpful.
One thing to consider is how much iron sights now cost, like an arm and
a leg, yet they used to come standard. It might be good to buy one of
these iron sighted barrels, unscrew it from the barrel, plug the holes
and now have a set of sights at a pretty low cost. You could then make
up some barrel bands, that will clamp onto the barrel, mount the sights
on the barrel bands. Hey, you got to waste you life doing something,
why not make up some iron sighted barrels?

Not a waste. Quality entertainment. I would add that cutting a shallow channel/groove in the end of the barrel would allow a "lighter gauge" fixing clamp. The tinsy weensy clamping screw would keep it from twisting on the barrel and allow ease of timing and the shallow groove would prevent the sight from slipping down the barrel or falling off in the unlikely event that you fired the gun without the obligatory muz brake installed.:o

If you work this out I hope you will share with us the solution you come up with. Thank you.

John