PDA

View Full Version : Hey all.

Bloom County
09-29-2016, 12:38 AM
Perpetual smart-ass, and all around good time joking type when I can (I have to be serious all day at work).

Anyways, grew up hunting upland game birds in rice fields that my uncle farmed. He sold the farm, moved to Idaho, and I went to visit him several times in the summer. I was introduced to rifles there at the age of 14. Fast-forward a few years and I joined to army, serving about 8 years active and national guard (and deployed to a lovely place that is always sunny and warm, were the people love the U.S.military ;)). Learned to shot the M16, M60, Beretta 92F, M203, .50cal, a howitzer, Mk19, etc.: a lot of cool stuff that makes hipsters cry like a girl in the fetal position.

Another fast-forward again. A lot of life stuff has happened, and I am in a place to restart my childhood dream of hunting and shooting. I still have my old Mossberg 500 from upland hunting too, but it now sports a 18.5" barrel.

I have some goals I have always wanted to do/learn. Reload, hunt deer/elk, and shot long range targets.
Goals in order;
1. I currently do not own a long arm. I have been looking at all the big makers with their offerings in the 'budget' class rifles. This has left left me dissatisfied and I have opted to increase the budget for a firearm with a little more quality. With that in mind, it broke down to Remington, Winchester, and Savage. Win. model 70 is too pricey. So the choice is either Rem 700 or a Savage 10/11. I really like the Savage line, and I am thinking about the 11VT at Dick's Sporting Goods, and change the stock and scope out eventually. Price is good, and it gets me out the door ready to shoot. It is a .308 with a heavy barrel. Not sure what the T stands for in VT (V=varmint). Still researching what the difference between the 10,12,14,16, but thinking the 10/11 is where I want to be. I am leaning towards the .308 as brass seems more plentiful, but I am looking into other rounds (7mm, 7-08, 30-06, 300). The .308 just seems the most economical and more options to tailor a round from those listed. Still looking though.

2. Reload. When I was hunting birds I wanted to reload my shot shells. It was a mystery to me, which made it even more desirable. Single stage will be fine, turret would be awesome. Just want to learn to load for myself and learn to tailor my ammunition to my rifle. And the whole self reliant thing.

3. Long range shooting. Need one and two for this. Well, at least number one. I recognize that the technic is probably a little different than center-mass military target hitting. I could be wrong, but either way I will be looking to learn to engage targets from 800m on out. But, lets start with the 200m club and work my way up.

Sorry for the lengthy intro. See you at the range.

Rick_W
09-29-2016, 07:59 AM
Welcome aboard!

drybean
09-29-2016, 08:34 AM
Welcome to the site

wbm
09-29-2016, 10:14 AM
I joined to army....and deployed to a lovely place that is always sunny and warm, were the people love the U.S.military

Berkley, California? :cool:

Thanks for being there for all of us soldier...appreciate it very much.

I could be wrong, but either way I will be looking to learn to engage targets from 800m on out. But, lets start with the 200m club and work my way up.

Well the 308 will get you there and I have read some good reviews of the Dick's Model 11 .308VT.

Bloom County
09-29-2016, 04:14 PM
Berkley, California? :cool:
Thanks for being there for all of us soldier...appreciate it very much.
Well the 308 will get you there and I have read some good reviews of the Dick's Model 11 .308VT.

I can see the confusion, but Bezerkley is not always sunny. And thanks, your gratefulness in felt and appreciated. But I am just one of many. I believe that you understand what I mean. I thank the ones who never made it home, from any conflict.

Thanks all for the welcome messages.

wbm
09-29-2016, 06:34 PM
I thank the ones who never made it home, from any conflict.

Always!!

ragsflh
10-02-2016, 09:28 AM
howdy

Bloom County
10-02-2016, 04:50 PM
Well, Dicks Sportingoods put the 11VT in on sale for $500, 17% of their retail price. Pulled the trigger this morning. Pick it up after the 10 day waiting period here in Calif. I purchased the .308 model. I am so looking forward to some range time.

Hotolds442
10-10-2016, 08:03 PM
Welcome!