PDA

View Full Version : 12 lrp 6.5 creedmoor it shoots great sometimes

scott037
09-24-2016, 11:12 PM
Well my 12 lrp with vortex pst 6-24 ffp shoots great sometimes. Had two three shoot groups below 3/4 of a inch but others not so great. I did the break in process savage wants you to do. I have 60 shots through the gun. Any thoughts. I got the gun to learn to shoot distance groups from .65 moa to 2 moa most likely aren't the best.

Any thoughts

psharon97
09-25-2016, 01:31 AM
I would start off at the action screws. Make sure they aren't loose. If that doesn't fix it, max sure the scope base is squared away. Take the screw completely out and put them back in. If you don't have an inch pound wrench, I would invest in one. Next, I would look at you scope rings. Again ensure they are tight.

Texas10
09-25-2016, 09:12 AM
^^^YES^^^

Torque tuning the rear action screw can make a huge difference in your group size. Go here to read how: http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

I have 3 savage rifles and all respond very well to this technique. I keep a torque wrench in my shooting bag and check torques before each range session. Action screws will sometimes loosen up while shooting, so if your groups suddenly start opening up, check the torque, and if necessary, add blue locktite to the threads to prevent loosening.

Robinhood
09-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Are you reloading?
Many things to talk about.

If not is there a difference in ammo like bullet weight or manufacture?
IF so then there is the issue.

Are you an experienced shooter? Have you used your phone to video yourself shooting?

scott037
09-25-2016, 01:54 PM
Today I'm going to try different weight bullets I've been Shooting Hornady 140 eld

But no I'm not experinced with long range trying to get better.

I love the feel of the gun.

scott037
09-25-2016, 01:56 PM
I did retorque everything nothing was loose but scope rings were to tight.