PDA

View Full Version : SIII 56mm on SA Round w/EGW Rail

sigfla
09-24-2016, 08:00 PM
I am trying to order mounts for a SIII 56mm 8x32. I want to use the standard EGW base and Burris Signature XTR tactical rings. I think I can use the 1.00 height mediums with the rail and it will clear/not be too high. Does anyone have a height measurement for the EGW rail or able to confirm this ring and rail combo will work? Thanks in advance. I am stuck ordering so I don't want to have to buy and return if I get the wrong size.

bodywerks
09-26-2016, 10:22 AM
1" will work. That puts the center line of the scope 25.4mm above the rail. My egw hd base is .385 or ~9.7mm. That would give 35mm total rise. You only need 28mm or so. This of course does not account for the fact that the barrel tapers down and that it is usually smaller than the receiver, this providing even more clearance.
Not sure what you mean by a standard egw base, but if you mean a non moa base with no added rise(essentially a flat plate), it will still work so long as it's at least 3mm tall, which it will be.

sigfla
09-29-2016, 08:47 PM
I went with the 50mm Sightron instead. The FOV of the 32x 56mm scared me off a bit for shooting groundhogs. The Signature Zee lows clear with a ton of room to spare. I kinda wish Burris made an ultra low. Anyway, nice scope and looks great. Time will tell

sigfla
09-30-2016, 01:20 AM
I took a gamble on this Sightron based on Internet reviews. I haven't had it outside yet but so far I am very impressed. Turret is wide and beefy. The clicks are sharp and positive. They lock in nicely. The torque head screw on the turrets is very sturdy and matches the look of the scope. Gonna use a flatline ops level, vortex dope card flip covers, and the nice neoprene cover that came with the scope. 1 complaint is you must level from beneath if you can. The top turret screw does not sit flush and won't hold a level consistently. It can be done but the best approach is to level from the scope bottom to your rail. Arisaka defense has a nice setup to do this. 9 out of 10 for Sightron. I hope all the other good reviews prove correct in the field

hafejd30
09-30-2016, 01:28 AM
I level using a plum Bob and testing the tracking on the plum Bob string. I run 3 sightron SIII and Havnt had a problem. I have 3.5-10, 6-24 and 8-32.

sigfla
09-30-2016, 08:46 PM
I level using a plum Bob and testing the tracking on the plum Bob string. I run 3 sightron SIII and Havnt had a problem. I have 3.5-10, 6-24 and 8-32.

Thats the best way IMHO. I just don't have a way to vice the gun down level first then aim downrange at the plum line. I have 3 different setups for leveling scope reticles and so far my Wheeler kit has served me best. The barrel clamp bubble level is a savior. Once you get everything locked in you can move the gun anywhere using it as your reference. I just ordered the Arisaka kit and another bubble level kit from XTreme Gear. I use them all depending on what works best. So far I haven't had any trouble without using a plum bob. I will however confirm my tracking (at least the vertical) at 100 yards with a plum line at the range.

cowtownup
10-01-2016, 05:32 AM
I have a 56mm objective on a nightforce BR and use the medium XTR rings with inserts and it sits 1/4" or less from the barrel (bull barrel)...

yobuck
10-01-2016, 08:46 AM
Thats the best way IMHO. I just don't have a way to vice the gun down level first then aim downrange at the plum line. I have 3 different setups for leveling scope reticles and so far my Wheeler kit has served me best. The barrel clamp bubble level is a savior. Once you get everything locked in you can move the gun anywhere using it as your reference. I just ordered the Arisaka kit and another bubble level kit from XTreme Gear. I use them all depending on what works best. So far I haven't had any trouble without using a plum bob. I will however confirm my tracking (at least the vertical) at 100 yards with a plum line at the range.

Put a bipod on the gun, and place it on the kitchen table. Open the door and line the verticle cross hair up with the corner of your garage.
While your at it you can confirm the bore sighting with the garage door knob.
Then go groundhog hunting and confirm. lol

sigfla
10-01-2016, 09:44 AM
Put a bipod on the gun, and place it on the kitchen table. Open the door and line the verticle cross hair up with the corner of your garage.
While your at it you can confirm the bore sighting with the garage door knob.
Then go groundhog hunting and confirm. lol

lol, I am in my wife's lousy house. I don't think there is a straight door jam in this thing. I bore sight on something outside with bipod then confirm track and vertical with plum line at range. It's the best I can do around here till I build a new house, lol.