PDA

View Full Version : I am looking at building a rifle off of a 223 Hog Hunter. Here's what I've come up with.

Pages : 1 [2]

scuzzy
09-30-2016, 08:39 PM
You also forgot to mention the Dark Eagle Mags and CDI, who will inlet your stock to fit both the Savage and their bottom metal that uses the AICS magazines.

Last I checked, dark eagle did not do 10 round 223 mags. I have searched for 10 round factory dbm fitting mags for a while and can't find them for a 223. Please link them if you know where to get them.

The m40 is already inletted and should accept the ptg with little to no work.

jamesp81
09-30-2016, 09:47 PM
Slightly off topic question.

I found a Savage 10pc in 223 locally. Same barrel as the hog hunter with digicam accustock. The guy has it marked $739 though he usually comes off his sticker price some as long as you aren't a tool while in his shop. Would be about the same money as dropping the Hog Hunter in a B&C and I liked the balance. So, AccuStock vs B&C Medalist with bedding block....is one better than the other?

scuzzy
10-01-2016, 01:15 AM
Personal preference. PC has lower bolt release, and there are probably a few more parts for upper release like the hog hunter has. Upper release parts are typically cheaper than lower release parts. Accustock should theoretically be similar in accuracy, but it's ergonomics are much different. You will need a cheek riser on the accustock to get a scope line of sight. B&c may require some sort of riser as well. Accustocks are really well built factory stocks though. Take your pick, both should be accurate shooters.

jamesp81
10-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Personal preference. PC has lower bolt release, and there are probably a few more parts for upper release like the hog hunter has. Upper release parts are typically cheaper than lower release parts. Accustock should theoretically be similar in accuracy, but it's ergonomics are much different. You will need a cheek riser on the accustock to get a scope line of sight. B&c may require some sort of riser as well. Accustocks are really well built factory stocks though. Take your pick, both should be accurate shooters.

All I care about is the accuracy potential. I can deal with details like risers and cheek pieces after the fact...I probably won't know which stuff I'll need until I've shot it anyway.

bsekf
10-01-2016, 10:27 AM
I picked up a Hog Hunter 308 barrel that was new, put a Harrell's brake on it and installed in a LA. It shoots better than some of my custom barrels. Right around an inch at 200 yards and with almost every loading. Keeping them in 10 inches at 500. You may want to rethink your plans. Brake makes the 308 about like a 243.

Bill

squirrel_slayer
10-05-2016, 05:49 PM
I'm a big fan of the SS scopes as I have owned a 10x mil dot from way back and a 12x Mrad recently. I just bought a Athlon Argos Btr 6-24x50 and for less than $100 more than the SS scopes you get a lot extra and the glass is even clearer than the SS. I'd be tempted to say it's brighter than my cousin's stupid expensive leupold 3-18 mk6 it's definitely a lot of scope for the money and worth looking into. I like the reticle a lot. I could do without the illumination but meh it's there.

Billythepoet
10-16-2016, 11:51 AM
I'm working on the same project. I'm torn between the B&C and LSS.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock-finder/savage/10-thru-16-centerfeed-4-40/heavy-varmint-barrel/blind-magazine/bell-carlson-tactical-medalist-style-2-remington-700-sps-bdl-savage-10-12-weatherby-vanguard-howa-1500-vertical-grip-2092-2096-2997-2998-2999.html

This seems like a good deal, but there is still the issue of figuring out magazines for a .223.

jamesp81
11-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Last I checked, dark eagle did not do 10 round 223 mags. I have searched for 10 round factory dbm fitting mags for a while and can't find them for a 223. Please link them if you know where to get them.

The m40 is already inletted and should accept the ptg with little to no work.

PTG tells me that their bottom metal is designed for Savages with a trigger guard bolt release. The Hog Hunter is top release. I'm not getting good answers on PTG on whether their bottom metal is compatible with a top release rifle. Have you tried a PTG bottom metal with a top release rifle, do you know if it works?

scuzzy
11-14-2016, 10:54 PM
PTG tells me that their bottom metal is designed for Savages with a trigger guard bolt release. The Hog Hunter is top release. I'm not getting good answers on PTG on whether their bottom metal is compatible with a top release rifle. Have you tried a PTG bottom metal with a top release rifle, do you know if it works?

they make metal for both. if you get the one without the release, it's for the top release action. if you choose the metal with the release, that is for the lower bolt release action. I just put their metal on a 12FV with top release, very pleased with their product, although their shipping speed leaves something to be desired.

jamesp81
11-15-2016, 06:18 PM
they make metal for both. if you get the one without the release, it's for the top release action. if you choose the metal with the release, that is for the lower bolt release action. I just put their metal on a 12FV with top release, very pleased with their product, although their shipping speed leaves something to be desired.

Good to hear, thanks.

Hemi45
11-29-2016, 10:24 AM
I have a HH in .223 as well. I've admired the Ruger GSR for a few years now but it's not "just so" for the eight bills it would cost. My plan is to take my HH and have it reshaped into a semi-custom, semi-scout rifle that will outshoot the GSR all day long. To that end ...

I bought one of these:
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ProductDetail/43b541u18112_prairie-hunter-savage-11-hog-hunter-short-action-blind-mag-bull-barrel-channel-pepper

And I'm sending it here for a DBM conversion and inletting:
http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/

I'm leaving the irons on and have a Leupold 1-4X scope in QD rings on an EGW rail. Not what your vision is but the stock and conversion might be worth considering. CDI will do the work and return the rifle with one mag for about $300.