PDA

View Full Version : Elk rifle caliber

Pages : 1 [2]

Hair_Boxers
10-29-2016, 12:28 PM
True. Pretty much applies to any hunting, right?

In the end, the rest of your gear like tent, optics, food, cook system, hydration and your physical and mental prep will have a much more important role in making the hunt a success. If all goes well you'll use your chosen method of harvest for a very minimal amount of time.

yobuck
10-30-2016, 10:22 AM
Id say the majority of elk hunters today, would operate from a camp of either a permanent or temporary nature.
Transportation to and from the hunting area would vary by that location, but vehicles have become very popular
in order to eliminate much hiking on foot. Which also allows for more quality hunting time and transportation of more gear.
So an early breakfast in a diner, and a stop for a few beers on the way back, has become part of the landscape for many elk hunters.

Monkeymaster
10-30-2016, 04:28 PM
Just a thought,
Spend A LOT of time AND EFFORT on your research of where/who/when you are elk hunting.
You can have the biggest, fastest, hardest hitting gun in the world, and it won't do a thing if you do not see/have any elk.
Good Luck

bigger
10-31-2016, 11:42 AM
Agree with a lot of the others posting here. Plenty of calibers capable of dropping an elk, but not if you can't get to them or are out of breath when you see them.

I spent 3 days last week hunting elk in a rugged area. Basecamp was a 5th wheel and we rode 4 wheelers to the trail heads. Walked 27 miles up and down mountains, and under and over fallen trees in 3 days. We started with 6 hunters, but only 2 of us were able to hang the full 3 days.
Make sure you have good boots you can comfortably walk miles and miles in, in water, rocks, on trees, etc. Make sure you can walk miles and miles without dying.

Haiku_Rodney
10-31-2016, 02:26 PM
Many years ago I hunted elk in Washington State. I hunted public land. What was important in hunting public land was that the elk drop ASAP. My gunsmith suggested the 338 win mag. If your elk is hit but runs and another hunter puts a round into him then guess who tags the animal. Sounds terrible but it happens.

colt56
11-24-2016, 06:49 PM
I hunt elk in Utah and I will tell you bullet choice and shot placement is priority one and two. I use a 28 nosler for bull elk and a 6.5 creed for cows. Most the hunters my buddy guides bring 30 cals, some even 338. Ultimately whatever you can shoot well will work. Good luck

mattri
12-16-2016, 08:34 PM
Having lived and hunted in Arizona, Colorado and Wyoming can attest to the great info posted here.

300 WSM will definitely do the job under proper conditions.

Learn your load, drops, drifts etc and practice them often and in inclimate/unfavorable conditions, decide which shots you will/won't take. Shoot cold, shoot wet, shoot tired- you could realistically be all of the above.

Think about your gear, don't skimp on boots. Look at when you'll be hunting and research weather patterns for that area, averages, extremes etc, be prepared.

Have a blast!! It's a cliche but enjoy the time, the wilderness and the hunt, you'll be better off in the long run that way whether you bag a monster or not.

Best of luck.

BTW where in IA are you?

Burr
12-24-2016, 04:05 AM
Since everyone is weighing in, I might as well too. On this supposed elk hunt, that appears to be with a guide, there really is no guide out there that is going to get you to a 500 yard shot and tell you to shoot. Guides have this thing about not wanting to ever wound an animal, and nobody really likes chasing a wounded animal for a day and a half after the shot. Guides will get you into a range that you could shoot with a 35 whelan and not have to worry about hold-over. They are going to get you in-range, or you won't be shooting. And guides like guns that put an elk on the ground quickly. Shooting out west is a dinner bell to bears.

Listen to Coach. Get in shape. If you can stick with your guide and not be out of breath doing it - then the guide is going to be comfortable taking you as far as the guide can go. That, and shoot from all kinds of different positions, at everything less than 300 yards. Spend time with your rifle, yes. But spend 500 times as much effort at physical conditioning. A 300 WSM is a great cartridge - if you want it, get it and get to know it well. But you probably already own a gun that will do just fine. Just don't short change getting in shape. Get in shape wearing the boots and socks/clothes you'll hunt in, better to do that stepping over trees, climbing the meanest hill you can find.

Call coach, he offered. You'll end up enjoying the hunt more.

rphguy
12-24-2016, 12:58 PM
180gr Nosler Accubond worked nicely for my elk